01. Salt Air

CHAPTER ONE ✷ SALT AIR

QUINN WAS CURRENTLY contemplating the best way to strangle someone in the middle of a grocery store.

Here's how it all began: she hadn't set any alarms the night before, planning to just wake up whenever. After all, it was summer. There were no deadlines, due dates, missing assignments, and especially no errands to run with her mom. Quinn could laze around in her bed, scrolling on her phone with Derry Girls playing on the TV in the background.

However, that morning, someone decided to throw a wrench in her plans. At the bright hour of 8 o'clock, she woke up to a relentless banging on her front door. Quinn had a feeling about who the visitor was but decided to stay put underneath her comforter, letting her grandma take care of the whole ordeal.

Out of nowhere, she heard footsteps stomping up the stairs and down the hallway leading to her room. Quinn grumbled and tugged the covers over her face. She heard someone practically kicking her door down.

"Quinn," Elle groaned, dragging out the last letter of her name.

"What do you want," Quinn mumbled behind the comforter, her voice still gravelly from sleep.

"Did you seriously forget? We have to grab all of the good ice cream flavors before all the middle schoolers get their hands on them!"

Quinn didn't say a word. She was used to Elle's persistence and knew anything she said wouldn't make a difference.

"We also need snacks for movie nights because our parents only get the healthy food from Whole Foods, so just get out of that cocoon and get in the car with me and Dyl."

Elle yanked on the comforter until Quinn finally gave in and got out of bed. She tossed on a hoodie and followed Elle downstairs. Once she stepped out of her house, the salty, summer air hit her. Even on days like this, where the sun wasn't even out, there was still something magical about Cousins Beach.

Quinn's daydreaming was interrupted by the loud blaring of a car horn.

"Morning, Sleeping Beauty!"

Dylan craned his head out the window of his and Elle's shared Jeep, which the latter had somehow already jumped into the passenger seat of. When the two were side by side like this, it became so much more obvious that they were twins. They both had the same shade of warm brown hair and smiles that lit up any room they walked in. The Rafferty twins were magnetic, which was obvious to Quinn when she first came to Cousins last year.