Chapter Eleven | Time Waits for No One

Start from the beginning

"Why?" I asked casually. "You don't like him?"

"Oh come on, Audrey. The guy's a pompous dick, he blocked my driveway with his stupid ass little car. I bet he wears polo shirts and likes lacrosse or some shit!"

A choked laugh came out of my mouth. "Well...polo shirts aren't that bad."

He raised an eyebrow and said nothing, looking at me skeptically. I couldn't help but notice that he was definitely not wearing a polo shirt; his white tee hugged his torso snugly and emphasized his toned muscles.

"Anyway, " I coughed, "if you're not too, uh...busy, we should work on our project tomorrow."

"Sure thing, that means I'll get to bring you home next," He winked, his tone teasing once again.

"Hah-ha. Not like that, asshole. Never like that."

"We'll see," He murmured, turning to face the front once again and promptly ending our conversation.

...

"Are you ever gonna get your own car?" Lauren asked as we pulled out of the school parking lot, an hour later.

I snorted. "Whatever, you got this car like three months ago and you're almost eighteen." Her little rusty Toyota was nothing extraordinary, but she had bragged for a straight month when she got it.

She looked over at me with a smirk as we stopped at a red light. "So are you, and still no car, so hah!"

I rolled my eyes. My parents could definitely afford to buy me a car if they wanted to but they refused, saying making me wait "builds character", and "Patience is a virtue".

I toyed with the sleeves of my white sweater as she switched in between lanes on the freeway. She fiddled with the radio without taking her eyes off the road until she finally found the volume and cranked it up.

For the next few minutes, we both shouted the words to a popular song (unattractively and very off-key) until she pulled in my driveway and suddenly yelled, "Oh shit!"

My head shot up in surprise. "What? Jesus!"

"I almost forgot to tell you," she said, killing the engine. "The skiing trip over break is definitely happening, so tell your mom."

"Oh...that." I said.

"Yeah, that. So tell her because it's only like a week away now!"

"Alright, alright. Calm down, I'll tell her when she gets home." I said, getting out and slamming the door.

"Good, it's gonna be awesome! I'll text you later!" She yelled through the open window as she drove away.

My phone started ringing incessantly as I stumbled into the living room. Tossing my bag to the floor at my feet, I sank into our cushioned recliner and looked at the screen. I sighed when I saw it was Jace calling but answered anyway.

"Hello?" I asked warily.

"Hey, Audrey."

"Hi, Jace."

"Um, how are you?" He sounded nervous.

"Good," I sighed, kicking off my boots. I wished he would stop beating around the bush; he always did this when he wasn't sure how to say something.

"So what's up?" I asked after a beat of silence.

"Listen...I gotta cancel on you for the dance."

I had been only half focused on him, looking at my chipped nail polish, when his words caught my full attention.

"What? The dance, as in the one that's this Friday?"

"Yeah. Anna and I have been talking lately and she's really into me, so-"

"Anna Hemmings? The school...slut?" One of our school's head cheerleaders, Anna, was mostly known for putting out to any guy that looked her way, mainly football players.

He sighed. "I'm sorry, Drey."

Even though he couldn't see me and I was alone in my house, my mouth gaped open in shock, which quickly turned to anger. "Don't you fucking dare 'Drey' me, you asshole. Do you have any idea how much money I've spent? And now you're ditching me for Anna Hemmings?"

He still said nothing, and I was on a roll. "What? Did she offer you a handjob if you'd take her to the dance?" I asked, only half sarcastically.

"That's more than you ever did," he muttered lowly.

I gasped. "Goodbye, Jace. I hope you catch a goddamn STD from her."

"Audrey, wait!" I heard him cry before I hung up, stabbing the 'end call' icon on the screen roughly with my finger.

Taking a few deep breaths and rising to my feet, I knew I had to find something to occupy my mind, or else I would go insane. I started pacing back and forth and debated calling Lauren or Carly.

It didn't really bother me that Jace wanted another girl over me, things had never felt the same after we broke up. I definitely didn't love him anymore, if what we had could even be considered love. I remembered what it felt like to be an insecure sophomore, following Jace around the school every day like a lost puppy. Maybe breaking up with him was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I'M SO SORRY IT'S BEEN SO LONG SINCE THE LAST UPDATE but it's summertime now and I will update as frequently as possible ;)

And I know this chapter is pretty short but I hope you guys liked it anyway :/

The next chapter will be longer and posted soon! Please vote and comment any thoughts/opinions!