CHAPTER 5

Rose

I sit on the couch and watch my son run around with the other kids. He gives me a smile that, on any other day, would have made me smile back. However, I wasn't feeling it today. I couldn't even fake it.
"Rose, it's time to start," Nick says from beside me.
He's dressed in a black tailored suit with his hair gelled back.
I nod and stand up, straightening my black fitted dress. I call out to Will and watch as he runs up to his dad.
"Mommy, do I have to wear this suit the whole time?"
"Yeah, just until after the funeral, then you can change."
He groans and rolls his eyes. I'd normally get him for the act of defiance, but I wasn't in the right mood. I walk past the two and into the kitchen.
Marcus, my family, and Nick's family were all in the kitchen. Their eyes all focused on me, sending me sympathetic looks. I ignore them and walk into the backyard where they're holding the funeral. The whole pack is sitting down, either in chairs or in there wolf form by the trees. I sit down in the front row, and I am joined by my family and Nick's. My mom sits at my left while Nick sits on my right with William on his lap.
I hear murmurs going around; no doubt, it's the pack's curiosity of Will.
"Who's the kid sitting with the Alpha? He looks just like him! Maybe he knocked up some random chick?"
I know Nick hears them too, because he hides Will in his chest. My anger starts to rise, and I have to clench my fist. I see Nick's eyes watch me, and before I can get up, he does. He hands me Will before turning to face the others.
"This is a funeral. If you can't keep your opinions to yourself, then leave!" He growls out to them, his alpha tone coming through. All their faces pale as they bow their heads to Nick. He ignores them and sits back. I can see the anger in his eyes despite the smile he tries to give me.
The service starts shortly after. My dad and Nick both speak for eulogy. They both talk about Gramp's achievements and how proud they are of him.
"Mommy, who are they talking about?" Will asks as he watches his dad speak.
"Your great grandpa, baby."
He looks up at me with teary wide eyes. I wipe away his tears and bring him closer to my chest
"But, Mommy, I like gramps. He is my friend." Will sobs into my chest. I try to hush him while I rock him back and forth. Nick concludes his speech and hurries down the stage towards us. He offers to take Will, but I shake my head. I feel the tears roll down my face but I don't wipe them away.
The speeches wrapS up, and everyone starts saying their goodbyes. A few of the pack members carry Gramps away from the backyard once everyone is finished.
The rest of the pack leaves as the family and close friends stay behind. I stare at the ground with a saddened face. I know he's in a better place now, but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.
"There going to start the celebration -of-life party soon.," Nick says from beside me. I look up to find him staring at me. I give him a nod before standing up with William holding my hand. I make my way over to my mom who's talking with my dad.
"Hey, mom, can you take him for a minute? I need to do something."
She nods and I hand her Will before walking back over to Nick.
"Do you think we could talk ... in private?" I ask him and he nods.
He starts to walk towards the woods with me in tow. I don't know where we're going, but I stay quiet as he leads the way. He stops short right before a tree, causing me to crash into him. He turns around to reach out to catch me and bring me to my feet. I mumble a quick 'thanks' and give him a questioning look as to where we are.
He doesn't say anything and walks around the tree, so I do the same.
Rushing water comes down as a waterfall with multiple trees around surrounding the area. The water pools down below, and it looks clear as day.
"I found this place shortly after you left. I come here a lot. It helps to calm me and my wolf. It also lets me think without distractions. I thought you'd enjoy it too," he says, a smile on his face as he looks at the scenery. "What did you want to talk about?"
"I wanted to say sorry about the other night. I was shocked about the news, and with everything that happened between us, I took it out on you," I say as I stand closer to him.
"You don't have to apologize, Rose. I understand why you said those things, and you're right."
"No, Nick, I'm not. You're a good, alpha, and you didn't deserve the disrespect I was giving you."
He stares at me for a while before nodding.
"Thanks."
"We need to talk about Will," I finally let out the elephant in the room..
"What about him?"
"Nick, I'm not going to take away your kid from you, but I don't belong to this pack anymore. I'm going back home in a couple of days."
He growls loudly, his fist clenched to his side. I take a step away from him, not wanting to be in the way of his anger.
"You can't leave. What about Will? I don't want to miss anymore of his life than I already have, but I know he won't stay here without you."
"That's why we need to talk about it. Can we please sit somewhere?" I say in a pleading voice, not wanting his wolf to take over.
He stares at me for a second or two before turning to sit on the edge of the pond. I take a deep breath and walk to sit next to him. I stare at the scenery before I start talking. He was right: it does make one calm.
"We can do some kind of shared custody or something. I know it's going to be hard since we live far away, but we can figure something out."
"Why can't you just move down here?" Nick asks.
"Because this isn't my home—"
"It used to be, and it can be again," Nick pleads.
"Yes, it was my home, but you took that away, Nick. I have a life somewhere else now. It may not be a great one, but it's mine and I worked for it.."
"Rose, if I could take it back, you know I would, but I can't," he says, his eyes never looking to me.
I stare at him for a second, taking in his facial expressions. Oddly enough, it's not anger I see on his face, but sadness.
"Why did you do it, Nick? You could have told me you didn't want me before we slept together."
"Honestly? I don't know. I never wanted a mate. I always thought it was too much responsibility. I was with so many girls before you that I knew you deserved more. We grew up together, Rose. You were my best friend's little sister. Growing up, me and Jake promised to protect you and not let you be with a guy like ... well, me. Turns out the moon goddess had other plans. I wasn't good enough for you, Rose. I'm still not. I guess I thought you wanted more, and I didn't want you to have to be with me just because I was your mate. At the party, I got carried away and let my wolf take control. The day after, I realized what happened, and I felt horrible. I was supposed to protect you, so I did just that: I made you leave me."
I was shocked at his words. I had never heard his reason why, and it definelty isn't what I thought it was going to be. I feel tears prick my eyes, but I push them down. I am not about to show him that his words got to me.
"Split custody is what's best. It's really hard for me here, Nick. Please understand that."
"As much as I want you to stay, I do understand, Rosealine. Tomorrow, we can figure out dates and stuff. Let's get back. the party is probably starting."
He doesn't wait for me to respond. He gets up immediately and head back towards the house. The coldness and distance in his voice stuns me and causes a slight pain in my chest.

"He's really hurting, Rose. Why can't you just give him a chance?" Aurora whimpers.
"We are hurting too, Aurora, but it just can't work. Our love is too far gone." I cut her link shut so I don't have to hear her whining. Standing up, I dust off my pants and try to listen for the sound of the party. Picking up on people's voices, I head in the direction they're coming from.
As I walk back, I get lost a few times. The territory is no longer familiar to me. The party is in full swing when I arrive. There are tables with food on them. The bar is serving alcohol, and both adults and children are singing and dancing.
"Mommy!"
I see my little boy run to me at full speed, so I lean down to catch him. He giggles when I pick him up and spin him around. The air grows silent, and I see the entire pack watching us.
"Daddy said that someone told the pack that he was my daddy."
Will smiles at the pack. They all return his smile. I close my eyes in frustration and force a smile on my face as I look at William.
"Why don't you go play with the other kids? I'll come find you in a second."
He nods and I put him down. He runs off to the other kids, and I make my way to Nick. He's standing around drinking a beer with Noah, Jake, and some other pack warriors.
"Who told them?" I growl out as I approach the group.
"It doesn't matter. What's done is done, Rose."
"What's done is definelty not done. We AGREED on not telling the pack about Will until tomorrow. So tell me who you told who couldn't keep their mouth shut."
"Rose, please don't cause a scene here."
"Then TELL me who told them."
"No," he says, staring directly at me as his eyes grow darker.
"Who are you protecting that is so important?"
"I'm not protecting anyone. I'm stopping unneccasary drama to unfold in MY pack. Now please drop it."
We both stand there, silently staring each other. I want to scream and argue with him, but now is not the time or the place. I decide to walk away from him before I go against my own advice.
I make my way to the house, ignoring the looks I am recieving. Making my way into the kitchen, I grab a water from the fridge. Crying all day has definelty made me dehydrated. As I was drinking, I happen to look towards the fridge that is covered in photos. I look at all of them, smiling at all of the memories. I stop at one particular photo, taking it off the fridge to look closely at. It's a photo of me and Nick when we were younger. I had just graduated from middle school, and my parents threw me a party at our house. I was talking to Nick when my mom came up and took our picture. We were both laughing at something.

"It's my favorite photo."
I turn around to see my mom standing not far away from me with a smile on her face. She comes closer and looks at the photo with me.

"You two used to be friends, you know? He wasn't just Jake's friend."

"I know."

"I still don't know what happened between you two, Rose, but I do know that the moon goddess never makes mistakes. And she's very wise. If you two had the oppurtunity to be together, it was no accident." She pats me on the shoulder and gives me a kiss on the cheek before leaving me alone again.

I put the photo in my pocket, instead of returing it to the fridge. I throw my empty water bottle away and make my way outside to find William. Hopefully, no one notices the picture is gone.