Chapter 8: My Queen

Brenna

"There's no one left."

Adan gave me a kind look. "What happened?"

I glanced over at him, and his eyes were filled with concern. "My Pack was attacked, and my parents and my brother were killed, along with the rest of my Pack."

He nodded, understanding. "You were part of the High Claw Pack."

My head snapped up. "You know of my Pack?"

He nodded. "I heard of the attack after the fact." A crease formed between his eyes. "How did you survive?"

I let out a deep breath. "I killed the Alpha's Mate, and he was determined to see me degraded. Humiliated. And he knew I would fetch a high price on the Black Market, since I'm a Princess." My eyes met his. "And I did."

"You killed his Mate?"

I shrugged. "She attacked me first, and I didn't know who she was." My eyes met his. "I ripped out her spine."

He nodded once, staring out the front window. "Tell me what happened."

I didn't want to talk about it. What good would it do? No one could help me now. No one could save them. It was too late. But the kindness of his voice made me want to tell him.

"My Pack was attacked out of nowhere, and they killed everyone... except for me. I was sparring with my mentor when it happened. I did my best to fend them off, but there were too many... and they were too strong." I let out a deep breath, my eyes filled with tears. "My mentor was killed protecting me."

"Who attacked you? Which Pack?" Adan asked, turning right onto another road.

"I'm not sure." I sighed as the memories assaulted me, still fresh in my mind. "But the Alpha had white hair, even though he looked too young for it... and so did his Mate. And both of their wolves were white."

Adan nodded. "He doesn't sound familiar, but they were definitely Arctic Wolves." He glanced over at me, concerned. "Did your father have any enemies?"

I shook my head. "Not that I know of. I didn't think my father had any enemies at all, but when I asked the Alpha with white hair who he was and why he was doing this, he told me to ask my father."

"Whoever it was gave you to the humans to sell for them, which means that they want to stay incognito, in case someone came for you," Adan replied. "There's usually never any wolf-shifters at the Auction... or I didn't think so, at least."

"He did it to degrade me." I shook my head. "If my people were alive and he would have taken me, they would have attacked and killed every human in the place."

Adan clenched his jaw. "How were you taken?"

I scoffed. "The Alpha snapped a silver wristband on my arm that prevented me from shifting. Anyway, they took me to the Auction House and then dressed me in that ridiculous harem costume with a gold collar and handcuffs. He told them I was dangerous when he brought me to the humans, so they put the gold chains, collar, and handcuffs on me." Tears welled up in my eyes as I turned to watch the scenery pass, not wanting him to see me cry. I refused to cry in front of anyone... especially not this Alpha.

Adan nodded. "What was his name? The name of the human?"

I shrugged. "I'm not sure." I glanced over at him. "But it was the one who made the first announcement."

Adan clenched his jaw, obviously knowing who he was. "You're safe now." Then he turned to face me. "But I promise, I'll find who did this and will bring them to justice."

"Not unless I find out who did it first." I let out a deep breath. "I want to kill the son of a bitch who did this."

"I don't want you in harm's way," Adan growled. "You will stay in the Compound and do as you're told."

"Like hell I will! I'm going to find out who did this and take my revenge. I may be a Wolf Princess, but I'm also a Mafia Princess, and I know how to take care of myself." I stared daggers into his eyes. "You won't boss me around and give me orders!"

"I am now your Alpha and your Mate," he replied, "and you will obey."

"If you think for one moment that I'll be your Mate, then think again!" I growled. "I will never be your Mate!"

Quicker than I thought possible, he whipped the car onto the side of the road, grabbed my hair, and pulled my head back hard. His eyes flared a brilliant green as he looked into my eyes.

"Brenna, heed my words." He was much stronger than me... too strong, but I wasn't afraid of him. "You will be my Mate before the next Blood Moon." He clenched his jaw. "I am your Alpha now, and you will do as I command."

My eyes flared, glaring at him. "I am a Princess of the High Claw Pack and will submit to no Alpha! If you want me to do anything, you will not command me. You will ask," I growled. "And mark my words; before the next Blood Moon, you will submit to me."

He crushed his lips to mine, forcing my mouth open. I beat against his chest as my heart pounded, and my breath quickened. I didn't want this brute to have this effect on me; I didn't want to feel at all. Then, something inside of me took over, and I melted into his arms, deepening the kiss.

At that moment, he pulled back, a devilish smile coloring his face. "Princess, I will submit to no one... not even you. But before the next Blood Moon, you will come to me... of your own free will... and you will become my Mate." Then he let me go roughly as he wiped the corner of his mouth, a smug smile lighting his lips.

"You're a beast! A monster!" I screamed as he pulled the car back onto the road.

"Silence, before I put you in the trunk!" His laughter filled the car.

Rage filled my entire body, and I pounded my fists against his arms and chest.

Again, he whipped the car over to the side of the road, threw it into park, and got out.

This was my chance... but I only had a moment before he came around to my side of the car. I threw my door open and leaped out of the car, shredding my dress as shimmers ran down my spine and the red haze with black edges filled my vision. Then it zoomed out to the edges, leaving my vision perfect... better than perfect.

Propelling myself forward, I leaped into the air and landed on four white paws, digging into the lichen and rich black earth... headed for the trees. They were just ahead. If only I could get there....

Then a giant, black wolf leaped in front of me, planting his feet firmly on the ground, his eyes flaring a brilliant blue. "I claim you as mine, a member of the Moon Shadow Pack, and I am now your Alpha!" his voice boomed inside my head. But I stood my ground, straining against his command. "Mark my words, she-wolf! Before the next Blood Moon, you will submit!"

I pushed against the weight of his Alpha timbre, the weight of his voice crushing me, telling me to submit, but I pushed with all my might, standing my ground. "I will never submit to any Alpha... including you," I said in my mind, straining against his hold. "I am a Princess of the—"

"You were," he cut me off, "but now, you are my Queen."

***

A/N: So, what do you think of this story so far? I love Brenna and Adan's fire and ice! Comment below and let me know!