Chapter 7: Submit

Brenna

Keeping a tight grip on my arm, Adan led me to his dark gray Maserati and opened the passenger door for me. At least he had style. "Get in."

"No." As he said, I knew better than to run... but it didn't keep me from trying.

Even though I pretended not to, I knew exactly who he was. He was Adan Cole, the most ruthless Alpha of us all, in the flesh... and he had just claimed me as his Mate in front of the humans.

Well, it wasn't official yet, but the intention was the same. For him to officially claim me as his Mate, he had to say the words and bite me during sex, and I had to do the same... which wasn't going to happen.

Then a Pledging Ceremony was done to pledge Mates to each other before marriage publicly. When the Mated Pair was ready, a Mating Ceremony would bind their souls forever. I had no idea why I was thinking about this, but my wolf wanted him and was prepared to submit right then and there.

But I'd never submit to anyone, especially not a cocky, self-absorbed Alpha. I refused to let that happen. All my life, I had been groomed to become a Queen, but it was the last thing I wanted.

Adan took a step closer, looking down at me with his Alpha glare... but he wasn't my Alpha. Not yet, at least. Just because he bought me didn't make me his. "It wasn't a request."

"Fine!" I slid into his car, but quickly climbed over the console—just one more step and then... freedom. I had my hand on the door and pushed it open, but he was already standing there, having moved quicker than I would have thought possible. He shoved me back into the passenger seat and hit the automatic locks. I tried the door, but it was useless. He had the controls.

"I meant what I said." His eyes flared a brilliant blue, a trademark of all wolf-shifters. "There is nowhere you can run or hide to escape me."

"Why?" I yelled, flailing my arms. "Just because you bought me doesn't mean you own me!"

He grabbed a handful of my hair and pulled my head back to get my attention, his face inches from mine. "You will submit and do what you're told. You. Are. Mine."

My wolf wanted to do just that, but I held firm as I glared at him. "Never."

"We shall see." He smiled, one corner of his lips curling into a mischievous smile. Obviously, he viewed me as a challenge. Yes, I was going to be a challenge for him, all right, but there was no way I would ever submit. He released me roughly and slipped on his seat belt as he started the car. "Buckle up."

I just stared at him.

His lips curled into the sexiest smile I'd ever seen on a man. "I'd hate to see you go through the windshield, Princess."

My head snapped up. Did he know? Probably not. If he knew who I was—or had been before I was taken—he wouldn't be treating me this way. But then again, maybe he didn't care.

I stared at him for a long moment, gritting my teeth. "Fine!" I huffed, slamming my seatbelt into place. The click resonated around us. "Where are we going, anyway?"

"Back to my Compound." He glanced over at me, his eyes meeting mine. "You are now a member of my Pack."

"Like hell I am!" I folded my arms over my chest as I looked out the window.

"We shall see." He chuckled, obviously enjoying my discomfort a bit too much as he pulled out onto the main road. "So, tell me about yourself."

I looked at him as if he had four heads. "What?" Since I had been taken, he was the first person to ask that... to treat me halfway civilized.

Adan made a left turn, headed up into the mountains. "How did you come to be in the possession of the humans?" He clenched his jaw as a crease formed between his eyes. "Were you captured by them?"

I let out a deep breath, turning my attention out the window, watching the scenery pass, trying to forget. "Why do you want to know?"

"So I'll know who I have to kill." His eyes flared. "But that's not the only reason."

"What other reason is there?" Surely, he wasn't just being kind. No Alpha was kind, especially not the most ruthless, powerful Alpha of all.

He shrugged. "I want to get to know you."

My eyes flared. "I will never be your Mate, so get that idea out of your head right now!"

He turned, his eyes meeting mine. "You already are." He let out a deep breath. "Look, I've never forced myself on any woman before, and I don't intend to now. But mark my words; you will come to me of your own free will. You will be with no other man."

I laughed without humor, shaking my head. He was one cocky sonofabitch. I had to give him that. "Well... Alpha! You'll be waiting a long time."

"Not as long as you think." He arched an eyebrow. "The Blood Moon is coming soon, or have you forgotten?"

"No." It was the one thing I feared... being claimed during the Blood Moon when everyone was in heat, frenzied, and not thinking clearly. I was of age and would definitely be affected... just like last time. If my father hadn't locked me up, I would be stuck with a Mate whom I hated or who hated me right now. That is, if anyone had claimed me at all. They could have just taken my virginity and been done with it. My father protected me, kept me safe. But now, he was gone.

That wasn't the worst of it. If I'm still unclaimed by then, I would be affected just like the men. The Blood Moon affected all wolves, but it made the unclaimed frenzied... like sharks hellbent on devouring their prey. If that happened, I could be taken by every man who laid eyes on me and still not claimed, and I wasn't going to let that happen.

A smile lit Adan's lips as he turned his attention back to the road. "So, what Pack were you taken from, and who do I need to speak with to let them know that you're safe?"

I let out a deep breath as I watched the scenery pass. Upstate New York in late summer was gorgeous, even at night. The green leaves clung to the trees, lush and plentiful, contrasting sharply with the brown lichen covering the ground mixed with pine needles. The mountains were even more spectacular. Wolves could see just as clearly at night as during the day, and I was no exception.

"No one." Tears welled up behind my eyes, threatening to spill over, but I refused to cry in front of Adan Cole. I had done enough of that privately... after what happened.

His head snapped up. "So, you're a Rogue Wolf?"

I scoffed, shaking my head. "Hardly!" I turned my attention back out the window, wanting to forget, knowing I never would.

***

A/N: So, do you think Brenna will eventually submit to Adan? Comment below and let me know!