♔16. 𝘵𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘬

Start from the beginning

Pretty sure the rook and the knight are on the same wall, and the bishop and queen aren't next to each other. The queen and the rook were opposite each other, too.

He stared at the page silently. "What?" He whispered. 

Chloe shined her flashlight in each of the plug inserts. She frowned, "No way..." She breathed. "These plugs are designed to fit chess pieces..."

He looked up, extending the page out to her. "Yeah. It's like a shitty riddle." He mumbled. "Look at this."

She grabbed the page and scanned it. She groaned, running her hands through her hair and over her now much messier braid. "You know what this means," she whispered. "Another wild goose chase."

He rolled his eyes. "My favorite."

...

Chloe and Leon had to return to the sewer systems to find the chess piece inserts. It took a lot of digging and more of the disgusting sewer creatures, but they eventually found what they needed to.

Leon climbed up from the sewer water onto a concrete platform. He extended his hand to Chloe, pulling her up with him. He swung his flashlight around to scan for any unwanted visitors.

"This way." He motioned for her to follow him.

She shrugged and walked behind him, "Do you know where we're going?"

"I'm still trying to figure that out." He suddenly stopped at a small staircase. "Woah..."

"What?" She walked up behind him. Her eyes widened. "Oh."

He glanced at her before beginning his short descent. "Come on." He motioned for her to follow him.

Once the two reached the lower level, there was only a small landing where they could stand. Surrounding them was a grate wall separating them from a different room. A large industrial door seemed like the only way in.

Chloe pulled at the handle, trying to push the door open. She groaned. "Won't budge."

Leon furrowed his brows. "Look-" He gestured to two plug boxes on either side of the room. "Maybe we need to do that."

Chloe furrowed her brows. "You think?" She asked.

"Yeah." He took out the four different chess piece plugs they had found. "One needs a King plug, and the other needs the Queen plug."

She raised a brow. "Alright... then, what are we waiting for?" She extended her hand out. "Give me one of the plugs."

He tossed her the Queen plug before turning and inserting the King plug in the designated spot. The light turned white.

Chloe went over to the other side of the room, pushing the Queen plug into its respective place. Its red light turned green. Leon's white light also flickered to green. A loud unlocking sound could be heard. The industrial door clicked open, creaking forward to let the pair inside. 

She rushed over and pushed open the door with some effort. Once it swung open, she shined her flashlight inside, catching the glint of something hanging on the wall.

"What is that- oh, my god." She gasped, covering her mouth. "Leon!"

He walked in, "I'm here, calm down. What is- oh..."

The two stared at a military-grade chemical flamethrower hanging in pristine condition atop two hooks on the wall. Judging by the stacked gas cans sitting below it, it looked untouched and unused. She let out a stunned laugh. "Oh, hell yes!" She clapped her hands together. "We hit the jackpot, Leon!"