Chapter One

"We need to talk, dear." That's where it all went downhill. Alex looked up at his parents as the tension in the room shifted. He chewed his food a bit slower as he nodded, indicating for his mother to continue. "Your birthday is coming up."

He stopped himself mid-bite, placing his fork back on the plate as he looked up at her. She was right; it was almost March 22nd. "Do I have to?" he sighed, having lost his appetite almost immediately when the realization hit him.

"Gotak, me and your mother won't stay young forever, and you're the sole heir to our family-owned agency and brand. If you don’t step up now while you're in your prime, it’ll be harder to make a name for yourself. We have tried our best to let you enjoy a normal childhood, but one day you have to carry on the family legacy with pride."

"I understand, father." He sighed when he heard that name. The Gotak family name was well known and definitely not to be taken lightly. "I’m sorry, son, but this is just how it is."

"It’s fine, dad, I understand. I just hope my friends will…”

"I doubt Ben would be like that; he may be a bit strange, but he truly cares for you, dear; he has no ill intentions, I'm sure."

He smiled at his mother's words; she was right. No matter what happened, Ben wouldn't leave his side.

"Now finish your dinner; we need to make arrangements for the party. It’s going to be a big event after all."

[Eunjang, school gate]

"HEY ALEX!!" He turned around, his eyes landing on Gerard, who ran over to him. "Hey, what’s up?" The dark-haired teen waited till Gerard had caught up to him before he continued walking beside him. "Your birthday is coming up, right?" He frowned before quickly stopping himself. "Yeah, Big Ben told you." Alex rolled his eyes when he received the obvious answer, and Ben never could contain his excitement when it came to things like this.

"So what do you want?" Gerard asked the obvious question, tilting his head a bit. "You don’t have to get me anything, dude." Alex shrugged it off; it was true that ever since he was small, almost everything was only a card swipe away from him.

"It’s your birthday, man."

"And? Trust me, there's no reason to make a big deal out of it."

"What's got you riled up?"

"Nothing, just in a bad mood."

"If you say so, yeah, you have the same birthday as that rich kid, huh?" Gerard spoke up, hoping to change the topic, unaware of how the innocent gesture would be of no help.

"What?"

"Yeah, it's this huge birthday party where the son of these two rich agency owners is making their first ever appearance after being in hiding."

"Why do you know so much about this?"

"I was hoping to get a job as one of the caterers of the event; apparently they're hiring anyone who's suitable instead of just getting a catering company, weird right?"

"Ah yeah, weird." It was his mother's choice; having not been born into wealth, she believed that giving money to anyone who was willing to put in the effort to earn it was more fitting than hiring large corporations. Sure, most people, including Alex, found it strange, but considering how many people down on their luck had found great help thanks to her, he wasn't one to complain.

"The pay is really good, and I was hoping to get the job; I saw the listing, though there were a shit ton of people, so I'm not that sure, plus at the audition too."

Alex glanced at the man, letting out a small sigh. "You’ll get the job, don't worry."

"How are you so sure?" The taller teen asked, clearly skeptical at how sure Alex seemed.