The Peanut Gallery

Start from the beginning

"I am not blind, Y/N." Rumi whispered as he leaned into you at the entrance to the hall. "I know you did not wear this beautiful outfit simply to chaperone a ball."

You looked at him, slightly shocked. "Oh? Why else would I be wearing it?"

"For her," he answered, his eyes settling on someone over your shoulder. You turned slowly, following his gaze until your eyes landed on the person he had been referring to.

Lady Lesso.

She looked beautiful. More beautiful than you could've imagined. You could feel yourself getting lost in the sight of her, and it wasn't until you heard Espada clear his throat you realized you had been frozen.

You turned back toward him, fear flickering in your eyes. You two hadn't told anyone yet. You had talked about approaching the subject delicately, since Dovey already didn't like you.

"No need to worry Y/N," he chuckled as he saw your terrified expression. "I will not tell a soul." He moved his hands across his lips as if locking them and throwing away the key.

You smiled softly, stepping closer to him as the students began pouring in for the ball. "How long have you known?"

A smile grew on his face. "People always seem to forget that this old man's unique talent is hearing heart songs. I knew as soon as your individual laments began to intertwine into a beautiful melody."

You leaned into him gently, your smile growing. "I have to admit. I'm relieved you know. Given our growing friendship, I was finding it harder to keep from you."

"I knew it would surface in time." He said softly.

At that moment, the music hummed to life and the ball officially started. Espada straightened his posture, turning toward you and saying, "Well...I suppose it's time we chaperone," before bowing slightly and making his way towards the students.

As he strolled toward the refreshment table, he was intercepted by a very nosey Anemone.

"So...Y/N looks...nice!" She pointed out as she eyed you from across the room.

"Indeed she does," Espada hummed, as he pushed around her slightly to reach for a cookie.

Quickly she turned toward him, her urge to gossip overwhelming. "Do you think she just felt the need to prove she can clean up? Or is she trying to impress someone?"

Rumi shook his head. "Perhaps she just wanted to enjoy the ball Em...did you ever think of that?"

Anemone slapped him lightly on the arm. "Oh posh...she's gotta have a reason for looking that good!"

Espada looked up to see Emma still staring at you intently. "If I didn't know better...I'd say you're jealous."

Anemone's gaze shot around to look toward Espada. "Of the way she looks in that jumpsuit? You bet your ass I'm jealous! She looks amazing!"

At that moment, Lady Lesso waltzed past the refreshment table, overhearing their not-so-quiet conversation.

"Yes, most she certainly does," she hummed as she stalked past, her cane stabbing into the ground and making a heavy clink as the metal hit stone.

Anemone watched as the Dean of Evil passed by them, making her way to speak to you. When she was gone, Anemone turned back to Espada in shock.

"Did you just-" she said, still trying to process what just happened. "Am I?"

She seemed unable to formulate full sentences and Rumi couldn't help but chuckle as he glanced at Anemone's perplexed expression.

"Are they?" She asked, after a moment of stunned silence. She was pointing to you and Lesso, as you were now standing fairly close to one another watching over the students.