III: The Island

The Albatross was anchored a bit offshore, giving it space to leave. Chip stretched his arms above his head as he stepped onto the land. The island was bare, with volcanic rock covering it. It would have seemed completely flat if not for the small cluster of thick trees off in the distance. Chip would have thought he was imagining it if Jay hadn't, at that moment, called it out.

"Trees over there. Possibly food too. Wanna risk it?" She had her hands in her pockets, seeming very relaxed.

"Sure," Chip yawned, cupping a hand around his mouth. "Where's Gill?" Jay pointed back toward the Albatross in response.

"Said he was tired. Before you make a face at me, yes, I thought it was weird. But we can't assume something's wrong just yet. It's not like he hasn't been struck by lightning before," Jay said.

"Are we going to go explore?" Ollie piped up (after begging to come with them). She gave him a smile.

"Yeah, we are. You can come with us this time." The widest of smiles appeared on his face, and he pumped his fist triumphantly. Chip gave her a look she couldn't quite interpret at first, but saw something like worry. She patted him on the back as they started walking, Ollie talking about something excitedly.

"He'll be fine, Chip. We can't just keep him on the ship, he needs to get off every once in a while." He replied with a sigh.

The cooled volcanic rock created wide plains of dark stone. Ollie did a cartwheel across the flat, keeping an ecstatic grin on his face. As they got closer to the trees, they saw it was what seemed to be a water pool. An oasis, almost. The ship was far now, but not too far. Chip could see Drey coming up onto the deck. He turned back to the cluster of trees.

"Think there's any good fruit in there?" He asked.

"Maybe. We can bring some to Earl next time we're in Allport," answered Jay. Chip nodded in agreement.

"Definitely." He looked over to where Ollie stood, keeping an eye on the boy. He was ecstatic.

"Chip! Do you think there'll be monsters in here?" Ollie's eyes sparkled.

"Maybe. Maybe not," He replied. "You better watch out for them if there are!" Chip's face split into a joking smile, as he poked the small boy in the chest. "They might eat you, you know!" Ollie giggled, running a short distance away to escape.

The trio continued the trek to the distant trees, Jay and Chip trailing behind an energetic Ollie. They scattered small stones across the flat as they walked, making small conversation. Slowly, the oasis grew closer, until they were able to see a small pool of water at the center. Sunlight glittered blindingly off of it, sending flowing reflections to dance on the tree trunks and the grass.

"WOAH!" gasped Ollie. Jay set her hands on her hips, looking around the patch.

Chip, however, had already moved onto the grass, and begun looking for fruits or other resources. Nothing seemed to be moving other than Jay's fellow pirates, and, deeming it safe, she joined them in the oasis.

"Sure is convenient we came to this spot on the island. I can't tell how big it is just from here." She sat down on the grass, propping herself up on her hands. "Lava flat as far as the eye can see, I'd guess," Chip nodded at her from a short distance. Turning back to a tree, he jumped at it, digging his fingers into the bark as he started shimmying cautiously up the trunk. As soon as he let one hand off to try and pick a fruit just above him, however, his grip was lost and he slid onto the ground again. He turned to find Jay laughing at him, tears pricking her eyes as she buried her head in her knees to try and mask it. Indignant, Chip got up and whacked her gently, to which she just laughed harder.

"You climb it then! You try and dig your grimy hands into the smooth bark of a tree without any branches! Bet you'll fall too!" Jay lifted her head, her eyes still glimmering with tears of laughter. She smirked at Chip.

"Ok then, Chibo. Maybe I will!" Jay made her way over to the tree, looking up at it as she assessed a strategy. Chip looked on with his hands on his hips, a scrutinizing look on his face. Jay began her climb, holding tightly onto the slight grooves in the tree as she continued upwards. She made it most of the way up before she felt herself start to slip down the tree again. Determined, Jay held tighter and tried to keep moving upwards. However, it backfired as her hands finally slipped and she fell from the tree, landing on her back and gasping as the air was knocked from her lungs. She looked up to find Chip nearly falling over from laughter, holding his stomach as he wiped a fake tear from his eye.

"Oh, dear disciple! How far you have fallen!"

"Shut the fuck up."

Chip held a hand out to Jay, offering to help her up. She took it, before pushing him to the ground.

"Hey!" Chip yelped. "Uncalled for!" It was Jay's turn to laugh again as she lay down on the ground. The sun had warmed the grass over time, and all the walking to get here and the heat were making her drowsy.

Ah. It's probably fine if I just rest my eyes for a while, right?

She blinked, her eyelids heavy.

Just for a moment.