"Hey." I say as I awkwardly hugged Mickala from my sitting position. "What are you doing here after pulling that many hours yesterday?"

"Oh I'm here to study up for a surgery. I'm rotating in surgical for the next 3 months and I have a patient in a few weeks."

"Oh! First one?"

"Oh no. I've done way too many surgeries since I got here."

She laughed as she joined me on the bed before both our hearts nearly stopped as the bed jerked forward. Laughing together, we pushed it back against the wall before Mickala pulls out some cassava chips she had stashed in her lab coat.

"You're a life saver." I say as I happily collected the snack.

"You don't eat much, do you?"

"I eat a lot actually. I'm just trying to stretch my money until payday."

"Oh. Thought you had an eating disorder or something. You're a bit on the thin side."

"Yeah, it's called starvation."

I spread my hands out as though I was spelling the word and she rolled her eyes before laughing once more.

"Well not to worry. We're getting paid in 2 weeks."

I gave her a look that didn't need to be deciphered and she laughs once more before briefly choking on air.

"I can spot you some cash if you need to stay afloat until then:"

"Oh. My. Gosh! Do I look like a charity case?" I accused jokingly.

"Yes. 1000% you do."

I rolled my eyes before we sat in comfortable silence. One AirPod in her ears while I listened from the next as my selection of rappers blasted for us to hear.

By 2 I was hiding away in the cafeteria as my job for the day was done. There were no patients who needed to be transferred from point A to B and my cleaning duties had all been completed.

My stomach made a mad growl of hunger and I took that as my cue to leave the cafeteria since I didn't have lunch nor the means of which to buy any. I was saving my cash for the supermarket where I was sure to have more bang for my buck.

My escape from the cafeteria got me caught by one of the nurses who needed the bedding changed from one of the only 3 private room beds.

The guy that was occupying the room was getting discharged and I quietly started to unplug the machines that were no longer in use, giving him time to gather the rest of his belongings before he left.

"Curly fries?"

I looked up as the patient touched me in order to get my attention.

"Um- no?"

"Yeah! Yeah. You're Nicky's friend, ain't you?"

"I- who are you?"

"It's me, Nedd. We met a few nights ago? Outside a bar on Main?

"Um?"

"Was it Main? Hmm could have been-"

"Yes, I remember you." I cut in as he looked like he wouldn't move on from the topic.

I tried walking off but he blocked my way, fully intending on carrying on a conversation.

"How you been man? I haven't seen you since then. Got shot."

He points to his shoulder to show me where and I gave a small smile and a nod.

"Yes, yes, I see. I really have to get going now, gotta bunch of work to do before I head home."

"You need a ride? I got a guy waiting on me downstairs, I'm sure he can wait until your shift is over."

"No... no, that's okay. Thanks for the offer though."

I breathe easy to see him finally moving out my way and I hurriedly pushed the machine into the hallway in a haste to get as far away from that room as possible.

My hunger started to rear it's ugly head again and I survived until 5 by drinking water from the dispensers before one of the shift nurses saw me and let me know my relief was here and that I could go home.

The time showed quarter past 5 and I was all too happy to be going home early for the first time this week.

My walk to the supermarket was a short and brisk one and I went straight to the canned goods aisle since I needed enough portions to last until payday.

My go to were the cheapest packets of ramens and so I took a large box with different flavours. I found some lentils, soups, and other food items that were sure to last a while and when I checked out, my arms were filled to capacity with the cheapest and probably not the healthiest meals.