Chapter 1 : Packing

Hannah sat up in her bed and rubbed the sleep from her eyes. She dangled her legs over the side of the bed and then let her feet touch the floor.
Hannah stared at the ground. The carpet was old and felt uncomfortable to stand on.

She let out a slow yawn and made her way to her bedroom door. As she opened it, a man walked down the hall with a huge box.
Once he left through the front door, Hannah made her way to the living room. The TV and coffee table were gone.

"Hannah, good afternoon sleepyhead!" Hannah's mom teased.

Hannah let out an exhausted groan and sat on the sofa. It creaked under her weight.

"Is your room all packed up and ready to go?"
Hannah's mom asked.

"Not yet."
Hannah replied.

"Well you better hurry, your friend next door wants to wish you goodbye."
Hannah's mom said as she picks up a box from beside the couch.

Hannah let out another groan before getting up and walking past her mom.
Hannah entered her room and looked around. She sat on her bed and she picked up a dog plush that was resting beside her.
She sighed and put it in a box labeled 'sell'.

"I'm too old for toys,"
She muttered to herself.

Hannah spent about an hour cleaning up the rest of her room and moving things into their selected boxes.

She was now sitting on an old chair. One of the springs were cutting through the fabric. She felt it every time she sat down.

Hannah got up and walked out of her room. She approached the front door and then called out to her mom who was in the living room,

"I'm going to see my friends now!"

Then Hannah opened the front door and headed a little ways down the block. She made her way to a single story house. It was white before but over the years it turned more of a muddy gray.

Hannah approached the doorstep and knocked on the door.

A boy opened the door, smiling.

"Hannah, I didn't think you would say goodbye!"
The boy said, he has a big smile on his face.

"Why wouldn't I say goodbye to you, Zack?"
Hannah replied, a confused expression in her eyes.

"I'm just teasing! Oh, by the way, I got you something!"
Zack responded, reaching into his back pocket and pulling out a white box.

"Don't open it until you get settled into your new house."
He handed it to her.

Hannah looked the box over and scoffed when she saw it was tied with a blue ribbon.

"How cute."
She said sarcastically.

"Make sure to text me about all the cool things there are in the city, and visit me next summer!"
Zack said, he had a hopeful glint in his eyes, deep down he wasn't sure if she would even want to visit him.

"I will try,"
Hannah starts, her eyes darting towards the sidewalk.

"I need to go see April and Leah now."
Hannah turned to leave when Zack grabbed her arm.

"One last thing! Don't forget about me."
Zack said before letting her go.

"How could I ever forget you when I have this."
Hannah said sarcastically, waving the box in her hand and then putting it in her front sweatshirt pocket.
She turned back towards the sidewalk and walked back down the block.

Suddenly 2 girls were running towards her. The one on the left, Hannah knew as Leah, had her soft brown hair in two braids. The girl on the right, April, had a blue headband in her long black hair.