Chapter Fourteen

"Who knows?" Otto asks calmly, staring into the fire.

"My handmaiden, Talya. Some of the servants-"

"Does Valaena know?" Otto turns, going to sit at his desk as Alicent fidgets with her rings.

"Not yet... do you think she will support Viserys' decision?" She asks hesitantly, meeting his gaze.

"I'll deal with Valaena and her children."

⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟

King Viserys body was discovered by a serving man at the hour of the bat, when it was the king's custom to take a cup of hippocras. The servant ran to inform Queen Alicent, whose apartments were on the floor below the king's.

Queen Alicent went at once to the king's bedchamber, accompanied by Ser Criston Cole. Once they had confirmed that Viserys was dead, Her Grace ordered his room sealed and placed under guard. The serving man who had found the king's body was taken into custody, to make certain he did not spread the tale. Meanwhile, the Queen's father, Ser Otto Hightower, Hand of the King, went to speak with the Maesters on an important matter. Ser Criston returned to White Sword Tower and sent his brothers of the Kingsguard to summon the members of the king's small council along with the Strong twins during the hour of the owl.

⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟

Lord Lannister sighs, sitting in his chair as the Strong twins look at each other wondering why they are here, and their mother is not.

"What is it that could not have waited an hour? Was Dorne invaded?"

"The King is dead." Otto announces, the room grew silent. "We grieve for Viserys the Peaceful... our sovereign... our friend." He glances at Viserra and Vaegon.

Grand Maester Orwyle stands. "Septon Eustace should be summoned to perform the last rites and pray for the king's soul. A raven must be sent to Dragonstone at once to inform Princess Rhaenyra of her father's passing. Mayhaps Her Grace the queen would care to write the message, so as to soften these sad tidings with some words of condolence? The bells are always rung to announce the death of a king, someone should see to that, and of course we must begin to make our preparations for Queen Rhaenyra's coronation-"

Ser Otto Hightower cut him off. "All this must need wait," he declared, "until the question of succession is settled."

"You mean until our Queen is crowned?" Viserra questioned, glaring at Otto as Vaegon rested his hand on the pommel of his sword.

"With his last breath, he impressed upon the Queen his final wish: that his son, Aegon... should succeed him as Lord of the Seven Kingdoms."

Thunder rumbles outside the castle as Alicent glances at the Strong twins, fearing their wraith.

"Then we may proceed now with full assurance of his blessing on our long-laid plans." Tyland states, smirking.

"Yes. There is much to be done, as we've previously discussed." Otto says, sitting down. "Now, there are two among the captains of the City Watch that remain loyal to Daemon... we all know that one's nature. Make no mistake, should Rhaenyra ever sit the Iron Throne, it will be Lord Flea Bottom who rules us, a king consort as cruel and unforgiving as Maegor ever was. My own head will be the first cut off, I do not doubt, but your queen, my daughter, will follow soon. Let us replace those captains. Lord Lannister."

"The treasury is well in hand. The gold will be divided for safekeeping."

Viserra and Vaegon glance at Ser Harrold.

Of the Blood of the Dragonजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें