Chapter Twelve

"Does me not wanting to drink surprise you?" Aemond asked Aegon as they waited for the king to arrive. Valaena, standing beside them, watched the servants prepare for dinner and the obvious divide between Rhaenyra and Alicent.

"You do not drink enough." Aegon replies, pouring himself another glass of wine.

"You drink more than a Braavosi seahorse." Aemond mutters, causing Valaena to smile where she stands next to him.

"I drink just the right amount." Aegon grabs another goblet and starts to fill it. "Although, I wish I could drink as much as your darling wife." He hands the goblet of wine to Valaena.

"Thank you, my prince." Aemond glares at his brother, his gaze softens when Valaena rests her hand on his arm drawing his attention from his brother.

"Even when the noose is so tight, they expect us to break bread."

"Aemond-"

The chamber doors open, and Harlan runs to his mother. "I'm so sorry, my lady. He insisted on seeing you before bed." Viserra's handmaiden said, bowing.

"Tis alright, Mae." Viserra smiles at the girl before kneeling down to hug Harlan. "My sweet boy, I will see you on the morrow." She said softly, brushing his dark curls from his forehead.

"Promise?"

"I promise." That seemed to ease the young boy, who then ran back to his Mae, leaving the chamber.

As Viserra stood, she locked eyes with Aegon who had a look on his face she couldn't quite place. She smiled slightly at Aemond and her mother before taking her seat in between Vaegon and Jaehaerys. Valaena watched as Aegon seemed frozen where he stood, his knuckles white from grasping his goblet too tightly.

"What was that about?" Vaegon whispered, leaning in towards his sister.

She looked up to see Daemon looking at her curiously before turning towards her brother. "Do not worry yourself brother, tis nothing."

Daemon goes to speak when the chamber doors open revealing Viserys, making everyone stand as four guards carry him to the table.

"How good it is... to see you all tonight... together." Viserys announces as he's seated at the table, looking around at all of them.

"Prayer before we begin?" Alicent leans in to ask Viserys.

"Yes." Viserys nods his head.

"May the mother smile down on this gathering with love. May the smith mend the bonds that have been broken for too long." Luke and Jaehaerys share a knowing look before glancing over at Aemond who has his eye closed. "And to Vaemond Velaryon, may the gods give him rest."

Alicent finishes her prayer and Valaena opens her eyes to see Daemon smirking.

"This is an occasion for celebration, it seems. My grandsons, Jace and Luke, will marry their cousins, Baela and Rhaena, further strengthening the bond between our houses." Viserra looks over at Jae whose jaw is clenched, and hands are drawn into tight fists, takes his hand in hers, knowing the heartache he feels. "A toast to the young Princes... and their betrothed." Viserys says as everyone lifts their glasses.

"Hear, hear!" Daemon says, smiling proudly at Jace and Luke.

"Well done, Jace. You'll finally get to lie with a woman." Aegon jests, leaning towards Jace.

"Let us toast as well Prince Lucerys... the future Lord of the Tides."

Valaena lifts her glass along with the others, smiling at the boy across from her as Aemond leaves his glass untouched. She puts her hand on his thigh making him look at her before sighing and lifting his glass.