————————

Josephine was still in her room. The album was long over and the sun was setting, filtering through her thin curtains to wash everything in a golden light. She was trying to find homes for what still lived in boxes and getting lost in nostalgia when she heard the sound of a car pull into the driveway and turn off. A feeling of unease took over at the possibility that it might be Pedro.

She couldn't see the front of the house through her window, so she stood up from the small mess she had created around herself and waited by her bedroom door.

A set of keys clattered in a dish near the front door followed by an exhausted groan. Josephine would recognize that groan anywhere.

"Frankie!" She called out, already running down the hall to see her best friend.

"Joe!" She called back with that signature smile on her face. "You're here! Why didn't you tell me you were here?" Her words were a bit muffled as they embraced one another in a tight hug.

Joe missed that signature apple smell of her shampoo. It was comforting amidst all the unfamiliarity. Frankie pulled away first. "Wait, you don't have a key yet. How'd you even get in?"

"Oh, Pedro let me in." Josephine gave her a tight smile, remembering how uncomfortable that initial interaction was.

"Why didn't he tell me you were here?" She seemed a bit irritated by that as she took off her shoes.

"I wanted to surprise you and he was kind of in a rush." The excuse felt lame falling from her lips.

"Oh right, his date." Frankie rolled her eyes before changing the subject. "Oh my god I'm so glad to see you. Work sucked. Let's drink some wine and order Thai food, yeah?"

"That's exactly what I need right now." Josephine sighed contently. She was incredibly grateful it had been Frankie and not Pedro that walked through the door.

"Great, would you mind ordering? I need to take a quick shower and then I'm all yours."

"The usual?"

"Yeah." Frankie gave her a kiss on the cheek before retreating to her room.

————————

"So, what do you think of Pedro?" Frankie asked before she sipped from the bottle they passed back and forth.

This question was bound to come up at some point. They had been catching up for a few hours, donned in pajamas and sitting across from each other on the couch in the soft lamp light of the living room. Half-eaten takeout boxes were scattered across the coffee table.

"I don't know. It wasn't the best first impression if I'm being honest. It looked like he just got out of the shower-"

"Oh God he didn't answer in a towel, did he?" Frankie interrupted.

"No, but he was shirtless." She took a swig from the bottle "Guess that's not much better." Josephine giggled, feeling a little tipsy from the wine and the company.

"He is the most voyeuristic son of a bitch I have ever met." Frankie said matter-of-factly.

"Well he was running late for his date," Josephine joked in a condescending tone, "but you don't mean to suggest he gets off on that kind of thing, do you?" Her tone shifted to something more serious.

"No, well maybe. I don't know. He's the biggest flirt I've ever met. I don't think he even realizes it most of the time, it's just how he operates." Frankie rolled her eyes with a smile.

"Do you like living with him?" Josephine's tone was still serious. She needed to know if this was going to be a good fit.

"Yeah, he's a really great guy. I think I was a little nervous at first because he's a bit older, but he's got this really warm energy which is nice. We've become pretty close, though we don't see each other as often as we used to. He's pretty busy."