Experimental Infantry Mortar

May 1903

In the midst of escalating tensions, as the Russian military began constructing military bases within the territory of the Korean Empire, a remarkable exercise took place in a certain location within the country.

The scenario for that day was to "construct a defensive line spanning three lines within a certain country's territory using trenches and numerous machine guns, and attempt to eliminate the occupying enemy forces." It was quite apparent that the exercise was focused on countering Russia.

. . .

The soldiers assigned to the defensive side didn't feel particularly good about it, but their spirits lifted when they saw the large number of Ho-type (Hotchkiss) machine guns (modified to use 6,5mm ammunition) gathered from all over the country for this exercise. On the other hand, the soldiers assigned to the attacking side underwent rigorous training in preparation for testing new tactics. They were determined to show the laid-back opposing forces what they were capable of.

. . .

The exercise began with intense artillery bombardment from the attacking side's positions. However, even at this stage, something was clearly amiss. The number of heard artillery shots was significantly higher compared to the visible quantity of Type 31 field guns in the distance. Moreover, despite the defenders properly taking cover within the trenches on the front lines, they were receiving casualty and injury assessments one after another. Faced with this unfair situation, the defensive side gradually descended into chaos.

After approximately 20 minutes since the commencement of the artillery barrage, smoke grenades were launched to cover the entire defensive front line, and the attacking side launched a bayonet charge, concealed within the smoke. The defenders on the front line who had been breached in their trenches fell into a state of panic.

"The smoke is hindering our aim! The bullets won't hit!"

"Damn it! Request reinforcements from headquarters!"

Naturally, the headquarters attempted to deploy reserve forces to the front line, but just as they were about to do so, artillery bombardment was directed at the second line, disrupting their plans. Meanwhile, several points on the first line had already been breached, and the attacking side was pouring in through those openings, advancing towards the second line. The second line, which had just been subjected to the artillery barrage, was slow to respond to this assault.

"My skills are top-notch! You guys are nothing to fear!"

"We'll show them our Yamato-damashii!"

With high morale, the attacking side stormed into the trenches of the second line. The defensive side's headquarters, naturally, tried to send reserve forces to the second line as well. However, the third line was now under artillery bombardment, and they could only mount limited counterattacks, just as they had done on the first line.

"Hey, why have they already penetrated to the second line!? Someone explain!"

"It seems the attackers bypassed the complete capture of the first line and proceeded directly to the second line, one after another, from the points where they managed to break through!"

"What!? Are they not concerned about their lives!?"

Common sense dictated that advancing deeper and deeper into enemy territory without properly securing a retreat route was nonsensical. To the defensive side's headquarters, led by Major General Kōsuke Ijichi, this was insanity.

. . .

"Ooh, Ōtani-kun is merciless."

"Well, it's time for us to put into practice the theories we've developed. That's why he's so enthusiastic."