Chapter 12: Heart to Heart Talk

Start from the beginning

"What's all this about?" Peach asked as she got closer, making Bowser sit up.

"Well, I noticed that you were in trouble so I thought we could do something together."

"And you thought a race would be just that?" she said, getting on her bike.

"Well, it's the best that I got that doesn't require us to touch and I know how much you like your boundaries so...yeah, a race. Something that requires two people to do but no physical contact." Bowser explains

"That's very thoughtful of you, Bowser," Peach said, a bit surprised that he thought about it. She also liked that he suggested a race; she could finally get out of the castle and enjoy herself without anyone assuming she was just leaving and not coming back.

"What can I say, anything to make you feel more at home."

"Thank," she said before diving off, "Let's see if you can catch up!" she yelled behind her, Bowser getting a gin on his face while Luigi held on. He centrally didn't want to be flying out of the car, like he almost was when Bowser buckled it a while ago. They didn't have a plan for where they were going, just that they were trying to pass each other. This was new for both of them, a new kind of respect they were forming.

Meanwhile, Luigi was the third wheel in all of this. His only goal was to stay quiet and out of sight, but he was struggling. With every reckless turn and the multiple times he saw the car get close to the lava pit because it had tilted, he wished he had just stayed in the castle. He was also glad that he hadn't fainted, but he'll faint real soon if this keeps going on much longer.

It wasn't much longer, but it hurt when Bowser stopped too fast, sending Luigi flying against the glove box. He wasn't going to get up after that; he needed a break from the crazy diving Bowser did. Bowser noticed the little toy on the car floor and was about to pick him up but stopped when he heard Peach's voice.

"Man, I need that. Thank you Bowser."

"Oh, of course. Like I said, if it makes you feel more at home, I'll help." Bowser said as he turned to Peach, who was parked beside him. She didn't look at him; she was busy looking at the ocean. They had driven all the way where the sea and land meet, away from the lava and smoke. It was still dark and cloudy, but it was better over here. They stayed silent for a while, enjoying the view, but Bowser felt uncomfortable with the silence.

"Do you miss the Mushroom Kingdom?"

"A little, but I'm used to it. I've always been away for a while now."

"But it's been awhile since you've been gone for a while."

"Yeah..." Peach sighs, still not looking at him. Bowser turned his head to the view before him, giving Luigi a side eye to see if he was okay. Luigi has given up for now and still needs time to just lay on the ground.

"Bowser, thank you again."

"No need to keep thanking me," Bowser said, turning his head to her again.

"But I really do. I know that you may be hoping that we may be more than...whatever you call this. Are we acquaintances? Friends? Enemy? I don't really know anymore. But I do know that you've been very helpful these last few weeks, and I'll admit that I've learned a few new things about you."

"You have?"

"Indeed, and that just from hanging out with you." She admitted turning to face him this time, "it's been nice getting to know about you."

"Yeah, same here. Safe to say that we're close acquaintances." Bowser said, both smiling at their relationship's new title.

"Yeah, close. That's safe to say."

"Is it also safe to say you're no longer anxious about Kamek not liking you?" Peach turns away when he asks that. It was clear that Bowser just ruined the moment that they were having by asking that. But this was why Bowser wanted to talk, to ensure she got over this.

"No, not really." she said, before looking back at him, "how do you get over it?"

"Over what?"

"People not liking you. You have people who don't like you, even if they're not your enemy. How do you get over it?" she asks worriedly.

"I don't have a good way of letting it go. I'm already the bad guy, I expect everyone to dislike me in some way. But it's not about if everyone hates me, it's about whether my family likes me or not. Hate me all you want, that will never hurt more than my own son telling me that he hates me." Bowser tells her, "Only listen to the one that matters, the rest will soon fall on deaf ears."

"Is that how you handled that? I've seen you get mad about thing people tell you to your face."

"That's why I said I don't have a good way of letting it go. I still get mad, and I'll still attack, but the words and the opinion themself don't hurt me as much as them trying to push my buttons."

"I think you're just trying to act cool."

"Is it working?"

Peach smiles at him before looking out once more. They stay like that for a bit longer, Peach saying that she headed back first since she wanted some alone time to think about what Bowser had told her. Bowser nodded as he stayed there long. Luigi was back in the passenger seat, waiting for Browser to start the car so they could go home.

"You were right," Bowser told him; Luigi turned to face him

"Well with the memories of a bastard, you know what will work."

Bowser let out a laugh at Luigi's comments.

"You're just going to keep using my own words against me, aren't you?

"It's easy really, but yes. Yes, I am, your nastiness."

"You cocky son of a Goombas. You're a crybaby but boy so you have something hiding under all of that." Bowser said, poking Luigi in his chest. Luigi gave him a small smile, the familiar action that Bowser was doing made him feel human again.

"I've learned a few things from a few dear friends of mine...." Luigi said, placing his hand over where Bowser just poked, "One of the more aggressive ones being this one I didn't become friends with till later in my life. He said, 'words are a double blade sword, you learn that and you learn how to hurt them back'"

"Did you learn that from Kamek? He taught me those words when I was younger. Always is a good reminder, but I don't think he's aggressive, Greenie."

"Sometimes he is, but yeah...I learned it from him." Luigi lied as he saw Bowser turn the car on. He got comfortable, grabbing onto whatever he could.

"Don't worry Greenie, I'll drive slower."

"Slower isn't the answer I was hoping for." Luigi said, grabbing on harder to the seat, "can't we follow the limit?"

"Nope!" And off they went.