Interlude : A Faculty Caper (part 2)

Start from the beginning

"Do you think there's any way we could fish something to eat, Maelstrom ? Because Mama Bear wouldn't say no to a salmon right now."

"I doubt it's that time of year Coach." The Professor replies without showing any more enthusiasm than that in the conversation.

"Actually, the fishing season started in mid-June and will continue until September, Professor."

I feel a slight electric shock run through my body as Coach laughs at the look on the Professor's face.

"Did you get permission to speak ?" He says to me curtly.

"I apologise, Professor. I didn't mean any harm."

"Be careful, Lambkins, you're beginning to sound like Dr Bellum showing your knowledge."

While the Coach is still laughing at the Professor's expression, we arrive at some sort of large cavern with a Viking longship at its centre. The professors move forward and climb aboard where we see weapons and armour.

"So little nerd, some information would be useful now." Coach says with a mischievous tone as his colleague frowns.

"It appears to be a Viking funeral, probably faked to hide the relic from foreign eyes."

"Then all we have to do is search." The professor removes the golden bracelet from his wrist and ties it around a metal bar. "You will wait here quietly for us, Black Sheep. Get down on your knees and don't disturb us."

"Yes Professor."

As I kneel and bow my head, I hear the professors searching. Coach seems to be talking to the Professor about a suit of armour that once belonged to the founders and now would belong to her.

I was starting to get bored when I saw the professors' feet coming towards me. They removed my handcuffs and Coach grabbed my arm before dragging me in front of the bow of the ship.

"The relic is behind the eye patch at the very top. Go and get it." The Professor orders me as Coach pushes me towards it.

Knowing that any refusal will only earn me their wrath and punishment, I climb into the hollow of the bow. At first I can't pull myself up, my arms are too weak, but little by little I can feel my arm muscles getting stronger. In a few seconds I reached the top, and just as I was starting to remove the relic, I heard a dull creak.

As if my life depended on it, I grabbed hold of the relic. Before I fully realise it, I fall with the broken bow and am thrown from it, hitting the ice wall behind. Tears of pain stream down my cheeks, and through them I see Professor Maelstrom snatch the relic from my hands without another glance at me.

"Finally... It was a good job protecting the relic Black Sheep. We couldn't afford to have it damaged."

Coach walks over and pulls me to my feet, quickly checking that I'm not hurt. She spots the blood dripping from my head and sees a piece of wood stuck in it. I now understand better where the blood on my temple and cheek is coming from. With a sigh, she puts the handcuffs back on me and the bracelet on her wrist.

"We'll take care of it when we get back to the hotel. Let's go."

3rd Person POV

Brunt and Maelstrom were making progress, discussing the events to come, when Coach felt a tug on the chain. Turning around, she sees Carmen fall to her knees and vomit bile. Maesltrom turns around when he hears her and his face shows absolute disgust when he sees the greenish-yellow liquid she is vomiting up, her empty stomach unable to return anything else. They wait a few moments for the vomiting to subside, but become concerned when Carmen starts coughing up blood before losing consciousness.