Not So Bad

ELLA

"Over there's good, Smith." I say pointing towards a space up ahead.

Peter had sent me a text telling me where we were going to meet up tonight. But getting there took longer than I expected, due to the traffic on the way here. I looked at the time on my phone. It was 7:50. And I was already late.

Lights were hanging in all of the trees. A lot of people were around, but what should I except? It's a park.

"Alright," Smith stops the car in the space and puts it in park. He turns back to look at me, "Call when you're done, Miss. And remember smile and have fun."

I nod my head and step out of the car. Once I closed the door Smith drove off. I fixed my coat and walked along the crowd of people along the side walk looking for any sign of Peter.

I finally spotted his tall figure. He was wearing a coat too, leaning against one of the lighten up trees, looking at his watch before putting it back down with a sigh.

"Peter!" I said.

Peter looked in my direction, a big smile spreading across his face.

"Ella!"

I ran over to him and he walked meeting me half way. When I got over to him I sent him a small smile.

"Sorry I'm late. Traffic was just crazy." I said.

"No worries. I'm just glad you came." He said.

That big, darn goofy smile still on his face. Was he actually that happy to see me again? Peter pulled me into a hug, which made me freeze on the spot.

I. Don't. Like. This.

"No offense...but I'm not much of a hugger." I say.

Peter pulls away, giving me some space as well. I run my hands down my coat.

"No problem that's cool." He said.

He starts walking and I walk besides him.

"You know I'm surprised. No professional clothing." Peter said.

"Not exactly. I had some business to take care of. The coat just covers the whole get-up."

Peter shakes his head and tsks at me.

"One day I'm taking you to get some real clothes, much more suitable for a teen your age."

"Why? So I can be dressed like you?"

"Ouch! That hurt Ella, I'm wounded."

I held back an eye roll. It was me who shook my head this time.

"So, where are we going to eat?" I asked.

"This way."

Peter held my arm lightly as we crossed the street. When we walked along the sidewalk once more, Peter kept an arm around me.

Even though I would always slightly move it away with my hand or shrug it off my shoulders. Peter would laugh about how I didn't like physical contact.

But then goes right back to pulling me into a side embrace just to spite me.

Truthfully It had nothing to do with that--well not everything--I just don't hug my enemies. Family or not.

"And here we are!" Peter said, finally letting me go.

I looked up at the restaurant and the sign that said Joe's Pizzeria and Italian cuisine.