Distractions

Beads of sweat dripped down Valkyrie's forehead as she hit the firm punching bag with her bare knuckles. Once, twice, her balled fists hit the leather material with a thud. Meanwhile, Skulduggery was reading a stack of papers in the room next door, leafing through them carefully and reading them with his head tilted at such an angle that revealed a hint of nostalgia.

Skulduggery's non-existent eyes skittered across the words on the page he was holding to the rhythm of Valkyrie's punches. As he read the faded words, VaLkyrie's timing grew faster, and her punches became harder. She focused on the bag, and only the bag. Meanwhile, Skulduggery was having a hard time just trying to read the letter. Valkyrie working out in the room next to him was distracting him, averting his attention from the letter to her smooth torso and her strong arms.

Skulduggery sighed as he put down the letter, finally giving up on trying to read it, and instead waltzed into the Sanctuary's gym. He stood there for a while, leaning against the doorway, gazing at Valkyrie's sharp moves and quick strikes. When he couldn't stand it any longer, Skulduggery knocked loudly on the door, so Valkyrie could hear him over the music from her earphones. Valkyrie's head turned at the sound of bones against wood, and pulled out her earphones to grin at Skulduggery.

"How's the case going? get anything from the letters?" she said.

"I have to admit, I'm afraid not. I've been quite distracted lately." he replied.

"Hm? Distracted? That's not like you, Skul." she turned back to the punching bag, but left her earphones dangling.

"I know, but I also know the perfect way to fix it. Do you want to know what that is?"

Valkyrie's laugh sounded like music to Skulduggery, "Sure, why not. Go ahead and tell me,"

"A little dancing can solve anything"