Chapter 52: A Plethora Of Feelings

Start from the beginning

"I don't know what you're talking about," she lied with no hesitation. She did not plan on revealing anything to anyone yet. Not even Lucifer who deserves a proper explanation. She could just pretend that she also has no idea.

"Ah... I was rude, apologies," she then added, realizing that she has been speaking too crudely to the crown prince, although her tone did not indicate any hint of her being remorseful of her behavior. 

Silence engulfed the air as the first prince dared not to move from where he was sitting. He did not show any signs of making contact with her again, uncertain of the possibility that he might hurt her. However, the sudden pumping of blood in Avy's body made her want to just lie down. She wanted to rest, but she had no strength in her legs to carry herself back inside so that she could force her younger brother to escort her to the palace. 

She put her palms on the ground, trying to push her weight up so that she could stand and walk. It was, however, to no avail as she simply fell backward, letting out an irritated groan. Her fiancé has no words to give, of course, but he did look like he was contemplating whether he should lend a hand or not. 

Annoyance rose to the lady's head and eyed him with a disgruntled expression. "What? You're gonna watch me crawl back?" she snapped at him, unable to contain her temper and abandoning her plan to be as polite as she could. At that moment, being herself was all she could do. After all, she was helpless. 

"I shall call His Grace—"

"They will hate you more than they already do. If ever you could call a servant, they will ridicule me and think worse of my behavior," Avy cut his statement off, her tone sharp and unforgiving. She was not wrong in any way. If the prince called one of her family to pick her up, the first thought that would enter their mind is that something bad happened between her and the prince for the latter to leave her on her own. They will despise him more which, to be honest, would not affect her as much. Nevertheless, it would not be better for her if Lucifer was too much of an antagonist in her family's eyes. 

On the other hand, if the prince called a servant to tend to her, rumors will start circulating inside the palace that she was not even worth Lucifer's time and that he would rather have another person take her back to where she was staying than do it himself. With other royals and envoys from other countries present, there is also a big possibility that some of them would hear about it and mock the Arkwrights for being the origin of her upbringing. 

"No matter who you call, one of us will suffer the consequences. I'd rather you just leave me here alone," she then added, not breaking eye contact. Her plan was to chase the prince away so that she could summon one of her curses to carry her somewhere she could sit and rest. 

There was a moment of hesitation, but Lucifer then stood up. Avy was expecting him to walk away and leave, but instead, he took off his coat and placed it on her shoulders. She lifted her head to look at his face, but the prince instead knelt down to her eye level. 

His face still mimicked that of a lifeless yet ethereal statue, failing to express any kind of emotion. However, his eyes reflected a hint of uncertainty in them, holding the fear of himself with much intensity. How strange.

"May I carry the lady instead?" he asked, voice as cold as the northern lands yet still exuding respect and politeness. He waited for her response as she processed his offer, not expecting him to attempt such a thing. A few seconds later, she finally snapped back to reality. 

"Are you sure?" she questioned; brows raised in silent wonder. 

Lucifer nodded his head in reply, his pair of golds still locked with her crimson reds. She could draw the sunrise with the hues in his eyes. The novel never lied about how breathtaking they were and even Avy could appreciate beauty every once in a while. The prince's eyes were one of the rarest masterpieces she could compliment with her rich vocabulary.