"Watch your mouth Julian!" Paula yelled upset. Julian smirked this time. "Someone can't bear to listen to the truth. Eden is nothing like you." He spoke out honestly. He trusted Eden with very fiber of his being. He knew she was a loyal woman who had been through a lot. He trusted her but his mind was unsettled when Lionel came to his mind. He didn't trust him at all especially when he always came so close to Eden. He wondered what to do to get Lionel away but knew it was a pointless case. No matter how much he tried but he couldn't drive Lionel away from Eden. They were always going to be connected through Mia and that always scared him and kept him on his toes.

"But Lionel wouldn't let Eden go, would he?" Paula's voice made him realize he was still on a call with her. "Go to hell Paula. Don't ever call me again!" He seethed and hanged up the call groaning and throwing his hair backwards while leaning deep into his chair. He took occasional glances at his phone somewhere in his heart hoping she would give him a call. Just a single phone call to ease his anxious heart. He just wanted her to think of him for once and give him a call. He waited for hours but no single call from her. He sighed defeatedly and tried to drown himself in work but his mind couldn't concentrate on anything as his worried and anxious heart still enveloped him.

***

"Wow Eden. You really asked him that. Damn I would have loved to see his face when you asked him." Anne couldn't help her loud laughter. "It's not funny Anne." Susan retorted. Anne gave Susan a surprised look.

"What? Don't tell me you're feeling sympathetic towards him now?" Anne asked with a duh look. "Look I know Lionel has done lots of harm to Eden in the past but asking him a thing like that about his dead child isn't right." Susan explained carefully making Anne roll her eyes.

Eden felt a pang of guilt within her. She couldn't get the image of Lionel's expression when she asked him that off her mind. He was upset, more like sad that she asked him that. She asked him if he was emotionally troubled regarding the death of his child. She slapped her temples feeling angry at herself.

Anne looked from Susan back to Eden wearing a shocked expression on her face. "Woah, what's wrong with you guys. We're talking about Lionel here. Lionel Bluebird. The same man who hurt our Eden, our friend badly. He abandoned her while she was still heavily pregnant. He threw her out of his life like she meant nothing and got remarried soon after without even looking back. That same man and even did worse than that. He went out with someone else while still with her. Come on guys. Just because he did a few good things right now doesn't mean we exclude all the bad and terrible things he had done." Anne huffed out annoyed. How could they easily forget what that man did to Eden. The things he did were terrible.

Susan shooked her head. "We know Lionel's done many hurtful things but that doesn't mean we stoop to his level. What Eden asked was very insensitive and I have to point that out. Am an honest person and I always point out what's wrong and what's right." Susan said and Eden nodded. Even she was feeling guilty for speaking to Lionel like that.

"Don't tell me you've softened up for him Eden?" Eden blinked and turned to Anne who was staring at her intently. Eden shooked her head immediately, "Gosh Anne what are you thinking? Am with Julian." Eden spoke in disbelief.

"And do you love him Eden?" Susan's question caught Eden off guard. Anne also looked at Eden for answers. "I think he's a great guy. Much better than that ass Lionel." Anne snorted. Susan chuckled lowly, "You really hate him." Anne hummed in approval quickly.

Eden fiddled with her hands and remained silent. She felt she was being interrogated by two police officers. "Mommy look what I made." Mia rushed in from a room holding a paper in her hands. She had drawn something on it. Eden was glad Mia arrived just in time. How could she tell that she was trying to fall hard for Julian but couldn't. Her heart was closed up after Lionel. She wasn't in love with Lionel anymore but for some reason restrained herself from falling in love again. She trusted Julian and did try but somehow her heart couldn't converse with Julian no matter the efforts she made.

She tried her best to get close to Julian but then thought of a way. It wasn't fair to Julian and she wanted to put in the efforts. "That's a nice drawing my girl." Eden heard Susan compliment Mia before Mia ran to show Eden her drawing. It was a drawing of a tall man and a woman holding a little girl in the middle. Eden could quickly guess the woman in the drawing was her because of her red hair.

"And what did you draw my darling?" She asked,

"It's a drawing of my daddy and...mommy with me. Look we are a happy family." Eden's smile faltered hearing her little innocent daughter's words. Could she blame the little girl. She had grown to know that Lionel was her father and now she got worried for her next wish to become a family again.

Susan and Anne kept quiet and watched the scene. "And may I ask why you drew this dear?" Eden asked. "Because I heard about a family from grandmother. I asked her about it and she told me it has a father and a mother together." Mia replied with a smile.

"That's beautiful my dear. Come I'll help you draw some trees and flowers around your drawing." Susan held Mia's hands and headed towards her room. Eden mouthed a low thank you to her for getting her out of this situation. She had known she would be faced with such a question but sighed out.

"Calm down girl. Mia's still little and won't bombard you with questions. She's just three so relax." Anne smiled her way. "But she will ask eventually Anne. She might be little now but she'll start school soon and mix with other kids and eventually ask about why her father and I aren't a happy family like the rest of her peers." Eden stated in a worried tone.

"That might not even happen because you will be with Julian right and plus Julian loves Mia a lot like his own daughter and offered to give her his last name. So he's as good as her father." Eden bit her lip remembering where she came from before heading over to Susan's place. She hadn't yet informed her friends about it.

"So tell me, how are you and Julian doing?" Anne quickly changed the topic. Eden looked away. "Aren't things going well with you two? Doesn't he treat you well?" Anne got alert at the end. Eden shooked her head immediately clearing her doubts about Julian.

"No Anne everything is fine with Julian, he's a nice guy. The problem's with me. The problem lies with me." Eden leaned on the couch and sighed. She was the problem in moving forward with Julian. Julian was ready to take things further while she was hesitant for some reason.

"Then fix that issue." Anne replied.

"And now do I do that? I've tried my best to make things work between us. I've tried to feel something for him but I just can't." Eden held her head with a sigh escaping her lips.

"It's easy girlfriend. Get closer to him tonight." Anne suggested with a wink making Eden's eyes pop out.

Please follow me on these other platforms of mine.

Goodnovel: Ashley Johnson
Scrollstack: theashleyjohnson

Also my instagram page for updates regarding my works and future ones.
Kin.gqueen87