My Little Eywa

"My little Eywa! Saving us from boredom!"

"Sister, stop!"

That was her nickname for Kiri. And she pretended that she hated it. She didn't, she loved it. Her sister had a great ability of seeing through and connecting with people. She sees their failures, their pain, their joy. It was through visions, if Kiri remembers correctly. It was a a gift from Eywa. Maybe that's how she knew.

The two were walking together, arms swinging playfully as the older girl hummed a tune. Kiri followed her as they both watched the life around them. The both never spoke a word to each other, comfortable with the silence.

Suddenly, atokirina’ surrounded the two girls. The eldest, the future tsahik, held out her hands to the sky as many landed on her body. Her hands, her ears, her nose, her closed eyes, her tswin, her tail, her feet. She was completely covered.

"Hello, Mother,"

Kiri pouted, wanting to be as gifted as her sister. One atokirina’, one that didn't approach her sister, came to her. Kiri gasps, but then holds her breath. Her small, puffy cheeks were full of air as the seed flew toward her face.

"Breathe, Kiri. Eywa doesn't want to meet you too soon."

She does so, her eyes not leaving the spirit. It lands on the girls forehead, staying there for a while. Kiri closes her eyes, the ground beneath her seemed to rumble at a calming pace.

"Can you feel it? Her heart?"

"Uh huh!"

The little girl smiles, her tail wiggling. Eventually, the seeds left the two girls, both watching their departure with light hearts. Kiri stares at where the seeds were, only to snap out of it at her sister's giggling.

"What?"

"My little Eywa!"

Kiri's eyes widen at that.

"Sis! That's blasphemous!"

"Oh, my little Eywa! She's going to do great things!"

"Kehe!"

"Look at you! Eywa has chosen you!"

"More atokirina’ landed on you than me!"

"That doesn't count. I'm to be tsahik."

"Ugh! You're impossible!"

"Your connection to Mother is wonderful, little Eywa,"

Kiri's argument disappears when she sees the woman's eyes watering. Her eyes filled with love, she was proud of her. As she cupped the little girls face, she kissed her head where the atokirina’ was.

"Oh how great you are, little Eywa."

She loved the way her sister looked at her when she said that. That's what made her heart soften. That doesn't mean she'll cooperate though.

"Little Eywa! Help me and grandma patch up Neteyam and Lo'ak."

"Fine. But stop calling me that!"

"Never!"

And she never did. Even when Kiri physically pushed her away, when she abandoned her for Spider, when she had found her mate, not when they had to leave, and especially not when they found out of the life that was growing inside her.

She never left. Never.

"How could I ever leave you, my little Eywa?"