"Thank you, Minny, you won't regret it." Phadia picked up one of the baby tomato plants and helped her finish the job. "Plus, we might get to see inside the palace for the first time."

"You should find us a horse, Fay. Hopefully, the imp doesn't mind riding."

*** ***

The Chief of the fauns lived inside a cave behind a waterfall where the rushing water soothed his great family to sleep at night and the heat of the day couldn't get to them. The pool below was like a pretty piece of the ocean that had been planted in the forest. Except that it was all fresh water. The cave was big enough for the Chiefs large family with room to spare. All of his twelve children slept on one side and he and his five wives slept on the other.

That morning, while a few of his young ones were still asleep and three of his girls were playing a quiet game with sticks and stones, the Chief approached one of his sons who was sitting alone at the back of the cave. "Rowan," he said to him. "Come with me, the Lord of the elves has brought something to my attention and I'm putting you in charge of carrying out a plan."

Rowan stood up on his scruffy goat legs and followed his father to the cave entrance. The Chief jumped down from the cave, enjoying the splash from the rushing water, and his son jumped after. They landed on the side of the pool where the grass was tall and dozens of insects were buzzing around.

"What do I have to do?"

"You must lead a small group of soldiers to catch a harpy. The Master of elves has spoken."

"A harpy? They're quick, aren't they."

"But they're not exactly known for strategy. That's where you come in." Rowan nodded, delighted at the recognition. "You've got to corner it and lay out a good trap."

"I think I can manage." Rowan gave a half smile. The truth was he wasn't sure if he could manage. He had never even seen a harpy before but he told himself to stay confident.

"I'll help you pick out your band. And then you'll choose your weapons."

The grass became shorter as they headed towards the area where the other fauns put up their tents. The Chief was a giant among them, from his horns to his hooves. Hardly any other fauns came close to his size. The shaggy fur on his legs was deep brown and he had a curly beard to match it. He wore no crown but his gait was enough to signal authority. He had silver rings in his ears and a sparkling brace on his left arm. He wore no clothes, just like the rest of them, only a belt with a scabbard.

Many fauns had come out of their tents and were now cooking soup and rabbit meat above campfires. Rowan had a few fauns in mind for his little quest and his father went in another direction to help him find some others.

A warrior called Memphis was enjoying a delicious rabbit's foot when the son of the Chief approached him. "Is there something wrong sir," said Memphis.

"A harpy is loose in Trelis. It's my job to hunt him but I can't do it alone. Are you up for the challenge?"

Memphis laughed and took another bite of meat. "You had me at hunt."

Rowan thanked him and went in search for more soldiers. Him and his father rounded up another four, all strong and courageous. The Chief approved of his son's choice and left them to find the gallery, which was another cave that was filled with weapons. There were axes, maces and swords hung up on the wall. The shields, slingshots, bows and sharp arrows were filled in bags on the ground.

When Rowan and his group came out ready and armed the Chief decided to give his son one last thing. He reached for his belt and handed him the scabbard. "Take my sword," he said. "And be careful out there."

*** ***

The crescent moon was rising slowly above the line of forest trees while the yellow-eyed imp was shivering in his cage. No one cared enough to offer a blanket or present him with a last meal. He curled up a little and watched the moon and the stars, trying to forget what would happen to him tomorrow until his large ears twitched as they picked up the sound of footsteps.

He got up and spun around.

A brown pony was charging his way and a young elf was his rider. She had hazel eyes and blazing red hair that was long and uneven and as the pony galloped it bounced and flew behind her. She dismounted in front of his cage and whispered something to him.

"Hello there, can you understand me?" She said. "If you can, scratch the dirt."

The imp scratched the dirt quickly with his left foot. Phadia smiled.

"There's a friend of mine that's coming and when she does, we'll ride away on Fallahr."

The imp looked again at the pony, noticing how the elf had tied bags of supplies on his waist.

"You'll be okay, little imp. My name's Phadia." Another elf advanced from the ash trees ahead, carrying a leafy bag of her own supplies. "And there's Yasmin."

The imp looked in the newcomer's direction. Yasmin placed a hand on the thorny cage and her eyes sparked with magic. The plant shrivelled up and fell around its prisoner. The energy had been sucked out of it.

Phadia stepped forward to take a closer look at the imp. His skin was so rough and he looked as if he was covered in cracks. Or were those scars? "Did somebody hurt you?" The imp blinked and took a painful deep breath.

She knew she wasn't going to get an answer so she simply picked the beast up and hoisted him onto Fallahr's back. She climbed on next and Yasmin went last. They all fit nicely. The imp's tail fell to the side of Fallahr and swayed a little just like the pony's tail.

Yasmin checked that their supplies were tied and secure and Phadia instructed the Fallahr to run south toward Shimmer.

Yasmin became uneasy the further they went. It wasn't every day they disobeyed the elf Lord by sneaking away a fugitive.