fifteen

IT WAS HARD to pack for South America when you didn't have anything to pack

IT WAS HARD to pack for South America when you didn't have anything to pack. Jo never had much to begin with, but seeing her entire childhood reduced to ash still hurt. They already had no money for anything, and now they didn't even have food, clothes, or a toothbrush.

The pogues eventually moved down to the dock behind the house, opting to use the marsh to wash themselves up as best they could. It felt refreshing to feel the cool water on Jo's charred and ashy skin, but the desire to jump in and take a swim only brought more heartache at the realization she'd have nothing to change into afterward.

"Sarah, when did you say the pilot was getting in?" John B queried.

The group had been mostly silent, lounged around the dock and staring out at the storm clouds that were gathering on the horizon. Sarah was nestled in the corner of the dock with her legs stretched out on the bench and her arm on the railing.

"Probably like an hour," she said. "Once he's here, my dad said we can leave whenever we want."

Jo had her feet in the water, gently swaying them back and forth and watching the ripples that formed around them. She turned so that she could see Sarah behind her and frowned. "I still don't trust him."

Sarah sighed. "Neither do I," she admitted. "But I believe that he will do this for us."

"Okay, well, as much as I would love to ghost my parents again, I can't," Pope spoke up.

"Pope, we're talkin' Ed Dorado here," JJ huffed. "Can't you just, like, slip out the back, maybe?"

"Great advice," Kie muttered, trying to stifle her laugh.

"Yeah, great idea after he went missing for a month," Jo added.

"Always worked for me," JJ shrugged. "How to avoid unpleasant circumstances 101. There's a problem, you don't wanna face it, then that face and keister around and walk the other way."

Jo frowned at that. She hated to admit it, but lately she'd forgotten how much JJ went through with his dad. She'd never even bothered to ask him how he was holding up coming back to Kildare with no family whatsoever. She was glad Luke was gone; he couldn't hurt JJ anymore. But that still hurt. She sort of knew that feeling when her dad was missing.

"I'm not doing that, okay?" Pope sighed. He slid off the railing of the dock and approached a frowning JJ.

"I just want you to be there, dog," the blonde murmured. He picked at a chipping piece of wood on the dock and tossed it into the water.

"I'm gonna be there," Pope promised. "I'll meet you at the airstrip in an hour."

"Yeah. See you there," John B nodded.

"Good luck, Pope," Jo hummed, sending him a smile.

"One hour, Pope," JJ reminded the boy. "Not a second later."