ten

BEING AWAY FROM the pogues was an unusual concept

BEING AWAY FROM the pogues was an unusual concept. It was strange to be wandering from place to place, wondering if she'd run into her friends. It was even stranger to wonder what they were doing instead of being with them and doing it together. They went from an inseparable group to mere acquaintances almost overnight. It was terrifying.

Jo found herself alone once more when Sarah told her she needed some time to herself, which left her with only her thoughts for a companion.

She quickly learned she was not fond of that. Anything was more welcome than the demons inside her head.

And then again, her saving grace came in the form of JJ Maybank. She swore sometimes that boy materialized out of thin air, but she was always happy to see him.

"JJ?" She called his name and when he turned, his face fell just enough for her to notice. Her chest constricted, but she ignored the terrible feeling as she approached him. Her brows furrowed upon noticing that he was soaking wet, his cutoff tank and cargo shorts literally dripping onto the dock. "Why... why are you wet?"

JJ smirked at her words and she rolled her eyes, shoving his shoulder. "Get your head out of the gutter, J."

He grinned at her momentarily, but the smile fell from his face as he grabbed her hand and tugged her along. "I've gotta tell Pope something, c'mon."

"Tell Pope what?" Jo queried. She didn't argue as she walked with him; she was happy to have a distraction.

But JJ ignored her question as they reached Heywards and he started yelling for the boy.

"Hey, what's going on?" He asked, glancing between Pope and Cleo. "I'm detecting a real heavy vibe."

Cleo looked pointedly at their friend. "Pope's quitting school."

"What?" Jo gasped.

"Being a coroner is kinda weird anyway, bro," JJ said at the same time, shrugging with his usual level of nonchalance.

"Shut up, wrench dick," Pope scoffed, sitting down on the dock.

"Not an accurate insult," JJ bit back. He pursed his lips and nodded towards Jo. "You can even ask her."

Jo's eyes widened and she shoved JJ away from her with both hands, completely appalled. "JJ!" She cried, her eyes wide and cheeks red with embarrassment.

"Cheese and bread," Cleo groaned.

"Right, great. So it's definitely not the time for this," JJ mumbled, moving to stand in front of Pope. "Okay, shit."

"What?" Cleo snapped, raising her eyebrows at JJ impatiently.

"Okay, so I was down at Guffy's trying to get my old job back, and I see the catty across the way. And on it, is Rafe and Barry. I sneak over to hear what they're talking about. Pope, he has the cross... and he melted it down. I'm sorry, bro."