Screams

(Grayson's POV)

I hurried my way down a spiral staircase determined for the first time in ages to get work done. I slid my fingertips along the cold, shiny mahogany railing caging in the stairs. I stepped down into the expansive hall, the library where I was set to work on the other side.

I was alone as usual, but for the first time I was longing for someone to be with. Looking for the maroon walls for the company I was missing. I was watching the portraits that lined the walls, stopping at the one a few feet scarce of the library doors. The painting contained the landscape of an array of colourful boats lined up in a harbour. There were sailors sat down on a bench eating, and men, women, and children looking on at the ships on the water.

Lately, I had been experiencing a craving for a more simplistic life much like the one of a child in the picture. I sighed, snapping out of the trance my thoughts had pulled me into, I strode the rest of the way to reach the entrance of the library. I placed my hands on the door knob, but my mind would not let me twist it. Whatever it was stopping me from opening the door had perhaps been a great help, because seconds later a shrill, feminine scream echoed the halls.

That scream could have only come from one of the few girls that lived in Hawthorne House. My Aunt Zara, Libby, Max and Avery. My heart skipped a beat. Who ever the scream came from it traveled from the hall to my left. I let go of the door nob I had been unconsciously squeezing, and headed towards the source at a faster pace.

My mind a blur of thoughts and fears, I came to a fork in the hall. Not knowing which way to turn, I waited to see if there would be another scream. My back against the wall behind me, I thought of what could've happened. Was somebody hurt? Was somebody trying to hurt them? Was it Avery? Is she okay?  My mind replayed those last two questions until fear was all I could see. I highly doubted that someone could have broken into Hawthorne House with all the security we have, but someone could still be injured.

Before my thoughts could carry me away again, a figure emerged into my view, crossing the hall in front of me. Jameson sped walked right through the fork in the hall, apparently not noticing me. From what I could see, he was probably looking for the scream too. His attire, jeans, a t-shirt and socks, but no shoes, couldn't tell me where he was coming from. He was well ahead of me by the time I had finally thought of joining him in his search, but sooner than I could join him, another figure slid right into Jameson's side. 

Avery, also in her socks, slammed into him as he twisted his arms around her torso. She started running from Jameson as his grasp on her loosened. He chased after her, catching up in no time. He twirled her around as she giggled, yelled at him to put her down and screamed

That very same scream that had taken me down this hall to find them. Feeling let down and stupid, I made my way back to the library. This time, without hesitation, I flung the door open to allow myself into the bookshelf-lined room. I sat down at a desk at the very back of the library, my computer and paperwork that I had left here for myself earlier ready for me at the table. 

I pulled the chair up closer to the desk, and started working. Working had always been my escape. Nothing in my life mattered when I was filling out forms, organizing information. All I had to do was focus on what I was writing. It had been that way my whole life. Apparently, until now. I had no desire to work now. All I wanted to do was staring at a wall and thinking. And that's what I did.

 I thought about how worried I had been when I heard screams, about when I saw Avery in my brother's arms. I thought about how over a year ago in a passage in this library, I had fully turned her down. Maybe if I had just let her touch me. Maybe it was my fault I'm no longer happy. Maybe I was never supposed to be happy.

Avery and Jameson both meant a great deal to me. I considered both of them family. I truly did love both of them. I'm happy they're happy together. But didn't I deserve to be happy too?