Chapter 13: I'm Only Human

Depuis le début

"Come here." He said holding out his arms, so I moved closer as he wrapped me in a tight hug.

"It was just a dream, you're safe, everything's going to be ok." He nodded stroking my hair.

"Do you think Damon's going to be ok?" I asked nervously.

"He'll get over it.. It's going to be fine." He said soothingly.

"I'm worried about him." I said softly.

"He's just upset, he's not going to do anything he'll regret, he knows you still care what he does." He nodded.

"It just all seemed so real.." I whispered.

"And it was a dream, that's all it was. I'm not going to let anything happen to you." He replied kissing my forehead.

"Promise?" I asked.

"I promise." He whispered. "Now go back to sleep, I know you didn't get much when I was in the tomb."

"I'm glad you're here." I said laying back down facing him.

"I love you." He said pulling me closer.

"I love you too." I said kissing his lips softly before closing my eyes.

I didn't have any bad dreams after that, but it was really hard to sleep with that nightmare on my mind. After all that's happened could Damon really go back to that self-loathing vampire that I used to hate? I wake awake off and on. It was only 3 in the morning when I woke up the first time. Each time I woke up Stefan would wake up too, which made me feel bad because he hadn't gotten good sleep either. When it was around 6 I decided to get up and go get some water from the kitchen.

"Can't sleep?" A voice came from behind me and I jumped back dropping my glass on the ground.

"Don't do that." I hissed angrily going to pick up the shattered pieces but accidentally cut my hand.

"Did I scare you?" Damon asked with a smirk pulling what looked like a first aid kit out of a cabinet.

"Yeah, what are you doing down here?" I asked as he walked closer to me.

"I could hear you tossing in your sleep.. Something keeping you awake?" He asked grabbing me by the waist.

"What are you-" I started but he was just lifting me up to set me on the counter.

"I'm trying to help." He rolled his eyes taking out a cotton ball and what looked like rubbing alcohol.

"I can clean my own cut." I said as he turned my hand over to see the deep cut the glass had made.

"You're lucky you don't need stitches." He said dabbing the cotton ball on it.

"Ow!" I yelled pulling my hand away.

"Aw did I hurt you?" He asked in a concerned yet sarcastic tone.

"Warn me first before you do that!" I exclaimed, slowly putting my hand back out again. "Why are you helping me?"

"I don't know, I just felt the need to help someone at 6 in the morning.. What do you think Roxanne?" He asked.

"But you told me-" I started.

"Maybe I was a little hard on you.. You just frustrate me and sometimes I say things that I shouldn't." He sighed.

"You still care about me.." I breathed thankfully, he hadn't turned his emotions off.

"Yeah well, you're probably the one person I can't, not care about." He sighed beginning to wrap my hand in a white cloth.

"It's good to hear you say that." I smiled a little. "I was worried."