Chapter 2

"Hey, hey... calm down, ok?"  A soothing voice called.  A gloved hand got placed on their shoulder.  They had an accent.  It made them sound calm and intelligent, pronouncing their a's as an 'o'.

"Breathe.  Five in,"  The voice then proceed  to count to five while Drestune breathed in. 

"Breathe out."  The voice counted to five again, but this time, Drestune breathed out. 

"You ok now?"  He asked.  Drestune nodded, still using the tree as support.  They got a good look at the person who helped them.  Their blood ran cold.  He had an E on his belt for Evermoor, like most guards.  He owned a staff, a warlock's staff.  And had horns that came up, making him at least a foot taller than he already was.  There was a bag thrown over his shoulder.  He was a warlock.  If there was one thing Drestune was terrified of, it was someone like him.  Someone who could kill them in an instant. 

"Yes.  Thank you.  I'm fine."  Drestune pulled their hood further over their head and stood up.  They didn't dare look the warlock in the eyes. 

Drestune didn't even give the warlock a chance to talk before abruptly turning away from him and starting on their way home again, still looking at the ground. 

Without any warning, suddenly- they stopped.  Threateningly red magic surrounded Drestune, lifting them off the ground and pulling them back to the warlock.  They floated just barely above the ground right in front of the warlock's face, forced to look at their probable future murderer.  The same red magic flowed from his hand like smoke. 

"Hold on there darling.  I didn't even get your name yet."  He brushed some hair out of Drestune's face and raised an eyebrow. 

"Drestune..."  They muttered, trying not to look the warlock in the eyes. 

"Laviver.  But you can call me Levi."  He winked. 

"So, what's a pretty little specimen like you doing out here all alone at night?"  Laviver asked.  Drestune shook at the word 'specimen'.

"Night walk."  Drestune answered without hesitation.  They couldn't move! 

"I see.  You look kinda suspicious with this on.  Why don't we leave this off for now. Hm?"  Laviver took off Drestune's hood, and all they could do was watch.  Their round ears poked out from their hair. 

"Lucky me.  You're a human!  Never seen one of you guys out and about before."  Drestune was about to have another anxiety attack.  They struggled, trying to get Laviver to let them go.  His hand did a circle, flipping Drestune upside down, much to their discomfort.  They squeaked and squeezed their eyes shut when Laviver flipped them, making him laugh a bit. 

"Well aren't you a gem?  I just have a few questions I wanna ask you, alright?  Then you should get home.  It's pretty late."  Drestune bit their tongue as to not spit out an insult.    Drestune reluctantly nodded. 

"Did someone run through here?  Perhaps this is what caused you to panic so much?  They probably looked as though they just committed a crime."  Laviver questioned.  If Drestune's blood was cold earlier, it was probably dry ice by now. 

"No." They didn't mean to sound that suspicious. 

"Short and sweet.  You're about half as tall as that is true about you."  He booped them on the nose, "Well.  I gotta get going.  Need to catch this darn thief.  Catch you around dear."  Laviver flipped Drestune back around and onto their feet, releasing them from his magic.  A single gold piece fell onto the ground, it seemed like forever until it stopped moving.  Laviver and Drestune watched it in an awkward silence.  As soon as it stopped moving, Laviver gave Drestune a questionable look, and then looked to their bag, his eyes widening in realization.