The Calm before the Storm

Start from the beginning

Covering her mouth with both hands to stifle a scream of astonishment, Maxi stood frozen, her gaze fixed on the magnificent creature before her. Never had she encountered such a marvel – a true dragon, right in front of her eyes.

A pang of loneliness swept over her as she thought of her absent friends, Ruth and Bell, tears welling in the corners of her eyes. What would they make of this extraordinary discovery? But they weren't here, leaving Maxi to grapple with her emotions alone.

Uncertainty gnawed at her as she weighed her options. Should she call for help? But what would become of the dragon if the guards arrived? Riftan's disdain for dragons loomed large in her mind, fueling her anxiety.

Biting her lip, Maxi felt a lump form in her throat. She felt utterly helpless, her heart heavy with indecision. Yet, as she watched the tiny dragon clumsily navigate its newfound freedom, a sense of compassion welled up within her.

Cautiously, she approached the creature, a mixture of excitement and apprehension coursing through her veins. Her hand trembled as she reached out, offering assistance to the helpless creature before her. The dragon sniffled her fingers with its tiny snout, melting her fears away with its gentle touch.

As Maxi helped the small dragon to its feet, a warm smile graced her lips, her heart swelling with affection, „T-there you... go... little one."
It was a moment of pure connection, as if fate had brought them together in this enchanting encounter.

With laughter dancing in her eyes, Maxi declared, "I shall name you Adular. Do you like it?" The dragon squeaked in response, hopping onto Maxi's shoulder with a newfound sense of trust.

Giggling at the unexpected gesture, Maxi gently stroked Adular's head, her bond with the tiny dragon sealed in that magical moment. "I like you, Adular," she whispered, her voice filled with love and wonder.

***

Belisent's eyes fluttered open to the soft glow of sunlight filtering through a modest window, casting a gentle warmth upon the room. As she slowly rose, the sensation of soreness lingered, but she found no evidence of the wounds she expected from the battle with the orc commander, Morwynn and the necromancer.

Perplexed, her thoughts turned to Ruth, the silver-haired mage who had been a constant presence in her mind. The door creaked open, revealing said man entering with a carafe of water and a selection of herbs. His eyes brightened at the sight of her sitting up.

"Thirsty?" he offered the carafe, and she gratefully accepted, the cool water soothing her parched throat.

Their eyes locked, and the unspoken connection between them intensified. In an instant, Ruth closed the distance, enveloping her in a tight embrace. His nose nuzzled into the crook of her neck, and the world outside melted away.

"I was sick with worry," he murmured, and she clung to him tightly, whispering, "Ruth... I am so glad to see you."

Tears welled in her eyes as the weight of her recent battles, both physical and emotional, found release. In Ruth's arms, she felt a sanctuary where she could relinquish the burdens of command and simply be. For a moment, they embraced each other, wrapped in the solace of shared relief.

***

Her head rested on his chest, finding solace in the steady rhythm of his heartbeat. The sun had set and the flickering of a few candles casted a glow in the room.

Ruth had shared the harrowing details of recent events, recounting closing the portal to Morgol, the encounters with Morwynn and the necromancer. His hands moved tenderly through her hair, a silent reassurance amidst the shadows that surrounded them.