Just a cold

"Ha! No way, not while I'm still in school. We've both been very careful for the past year, I don't even think that could be a possibility," Yumiko said to Yukako over the phone, laying on the couch, her head propped up with a pillow and multiple crumpled tissues littering the floor.

"I'm just saying, me and Ko were the same way after we got married because we were 22 and now we have Kaya, just do it, just to check," Yukako replied.

"It's just a cold Yukako, no need to take a pregnancy test," Yumiko replied, "my head's getting a little achy, I'll call you later ok?"

"Just think about it!"

Yumiko sighed as she hung up the phone and rested her head back into the pillow, "me, pregnant, that's dumb," she mumbled, closing her eyes.

Numbers floated through her head making it pound even worse before she jolted up, gasping, "I'm three weeks late!"

She kicked off the fuzzy throw blanket that had been draped over her and swung her legs off the couch, wandering through the small and room-filled house until she reached the bathroom and dug through the cupboards to find what she was looking for.

A cardboard box with a blue capped test inside.

"Oh god," she said shakily as she tore open the box, following along with the instructions and then capping the test and setting it on the bathroom counter.

She leaned against the wall, letting the weight of her body drag down the painted surface until she sat on the tiled floor while waiting for her alarm to chime.

"Please please don't be positive," she mumbled to herself.

The alarm went off and she fumbled for the plastic stick on the counter, pulling it off the surface and towards her, covering up the results.

She took a deep breath.

She uncovered the results and immediately, her eyes brimmed with tears.

"Nononononono I can't do this now," she choked, dropping her head into her hands.

The front door opened and shut, Yumiko's heart beginning to race as she scrambled to hide the test.

"Yumiko! I'm home!" Josuke exclaimed, his voice cheerful as he hung up his uniform coat and cap.

He walked through the house, looking for his girlfriend, "Yumiko? Where are you?"

Yumiko took a deep breath and wiped the tears out of her eyes before opening the door.

"There she is!" Josuke beamed, grabbing her hands and pulling her into his arms and kissing her cheek, "hey babe, I missed you today!"

Yumiko smiled, "I did too, today was boring," she groaned.

"Well, I picked up some noodles on the way home for dinner," Josuke said, handing her a fabric grocery bag, "I just need to go to the bathroom first!"

Yumiko nodded before heading into the kitchen, leaving Josuke behind.

Later that night, the two laid in bed beside each other, Yumiko on her back, staring up at the ceiling as Josuke looked at her.

"What's wrong?" He asked, grabbing her hand, "you seem…off."

Yumiko sighed and turned towards him.

"Hypothetically, what would you do if I ended up accidentally getting pregnant, and we were both really scared because of our age?" She asked.

Josuke thought for a moment before speaking, "I wouldn't bat an eyelid at it. Everything you want to do is your decision, but I know I'll be there for you."