Chapter 4

The loss of Aemond's eye ensured that Rhaenyra and her sons would be facing a powerful, implacable enemy from that point on. Perhaps though, there was still a chance of avoiding the war that was coming if Viserys had acted as a king should, and punished Lucerys properly.

I must admit, I have always felt far more sympathy for my grandmother in the aftermath of this incident. Rhaenyra escaped the consequences of what had happened because her father refused to consider that any child of hers could be in the wrong. His blatant favouritism towards her made itself apparent that night; a recurring problem that would only doom our family to war.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the time Daevar had managed to barge into the Hall of Nine, he saw that practically everyone was already there. Aemond was getting his eye sewn up by the Maester, and straight away he knew that Daemon would be crippled his entire life. He didn't even hear the Maester describe the condition to Alicent, and only looked up when Rhaenyra entered the room, immediately rushing to her sons.

Daevar also noticed his father standing in the doorway, watching the entire thing unfold. Of course he would be here, though that did beg the question of why he had shown up with Rhaenyra of all people. There was likely something there, he thought, but decided not to bring it up now. He rested his hand on Lamentation's hilt as the others began shouting and squabbling over each other, narrowing his eyes at Rhaenyra. Do not expect me to be silent, cousin.

"Silence!" Viserys shouted, before walking up to his second son. "Aemond, I will have the truth of what happened."

"What needs to be heard?" Alicent asked rhetorically, tears in her eyes. "Your son has been maimed. Her son is responsible."

"A regrettable accident." Rhaenyra said.

Daevar scoffed. "'Accident'? You mean to say that Aemond, your own brother, got his eye slashed out by accident? Strange accident, if you ask me." He said. Now Rhaenyra narrowed her eyes at him, as did his father.

"The Prince Lucerys brought a blade to the ambush. He meant to kill my son." Alicent said. Daevar felt his grip tighten around Lamentation, until he recalled the words Ser Gerold said to him once: 'Never draw steel unless you intend to use it.' With those words in mind, he carefully, yet reluctantly, let go his his blade.

"It was my sons who were attacked!" Rhaenyra loudly proclaimed. Daevar rolled his eyes. "Vile insults were levied against them."

"What insults?" Viserys asked. He just wanted to smooth this whole affair over and bid them make up.

"The legitimacy of my sons' birth was put loudly to question." Rhaenyra answered.

Gods, I wonder why that could be? Daevar thought.

"My sons are in line for the Iron Throne, Your Grace. This is the highest of treasons." Rhaenyra continued, casting her gaze over to Aemond. "Prince Aemond must be sharply questioned so we may learn the truth of these slanders."

If looks could kill, the one that Daevar gave Rhaenyra then would have seen her dead, buried, and Aegon being named heir. "Your torturer would find himself without hands, cousin." He said, stepping forward with his hand firmly grasping the hilt Lamentation.

"You would have my child tortured over an insult?" Alicent asked. She didn't know if Rhaenyra was being serious right now, but the mere fact that she was even suggesting it meant that she considered this grave. "My son has lost an eye!" She repeated, to no reaction from Rhaenyra. You stand there in all your false righteousness, my old friend. And my idiot husband refuses to do anything for his own son!

"You tell me boy... where did you hear this lie?" Viserys asked, leaning towards Aemond. Why couldn't these boys just bloody well get along! It wasn't that hard to be nice to other people, surely?!