"What happened last year, with Rafal, it shook our school. He posed as Rhian for so long, plotting and sewing chaos from the shadows. When he revealed himself, and we learned what he had done, it made us all question everything we had ever known. And of course, in Lady Lesso's case, it was much worse. Though she may not have outwardly admitted it, she was heartbroken by what he had done...to her, to Sophie, and to the school."

As she spoke, you listened, nodding along.

"When you came here and we learned of your background, of your power, I guess I became afraid. Knowing what the last person who was that powerful did to our school, my mind jumped to assumptions. And I realize how unfair that is. But then, as I learned how close you and Lesso were getting, I couldn't help but fear that history was repeating itself. I know Lady Lesso can handle herself, and I trust that she wouldn't be stupid enough to make the same mistake twice...but...well..."

She shifted uncomfortably for a moment, thinking on what she wanted to say next.

"Lady Lesso is my best friend. I care for her dearly, and regardless of her strength, I can't help but feel a need to protect her. But because of my false notions about the kind of person you were, I caused a lot of unnecessary tension and upset."

Clarissa moved to face you, taking your hands in her own. "Y/N, I am so incredibly sorry for all the things I've accused you of. You have done nothing but your job since you've been here. And I am beyond grateful for how wonderful you've been with the students and other professors. I think I just let my fears and insecurities get the better of me and cloud my judgment. And I don't think I'll ever be able to apologize enough for that."

You let a small smile settle on your face.

"I see how happy you make her. Please know how thankful I am for that. She told me several times how wonderful you are; how you've shown her that she's worthy of a happy ending. You've given her something Rafal never could, and I'm sorry I didn't see it before. But I see it now. I see how much you love her."

A single tear fell down your cheek as you thought about Lesso. You quickly wiped it away with the back of your hand.

"I want you to know," Dovey said after a moment. "I will do everything in my power to earn your forgiveness. I want to prove to you that I trust you and that I, in turn, can be trusted. I think in time we could be great friends...but I know that may take a while. I'm sorry Y/N...for everything I've done."

She lowered her gaze, slightly ashamed.

"Clarissa, I understand your hesitance to trust me," you said softly.

Her face rose, her expression shocked. "You do?"

You smiled and nodded. "Yes, I do." You shifted on the bench. "I wish you had expressed your fears to me directly, instead of only speaking with Lesso about them, but I do understand why you were suspicious. I can't blame you for being a little untrusting of an immortal demigod you'd only just met; after everything you and the school have been through, I would be too."

Clarissa chuckled nervously.

"I did my best to try and put your mind at ease, but I understand that the way certain situations looked from the outside only worked against my case," you explained. "I am a little disappointed that it took us this long to have a real discussion, especially since I know you've had your suspicions about me for a while, but there's nothing we can do to change that now. The past is the past. All we can do now is move forward."

Dovey smiled. "I would like that very much. I really would like to get to know you and spend time with you. And not just because of your involvement with Lesso; I think you and I could be great friends." She looked at you a little sheepishly. "Perhaps, if you'd like, we could spend the rest of the break making up for lost time?"