Chapter Thirty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"What's this?" Ron asked when they came across a long piece of white scales. 

"It looks like a...snake." Lockhart said. 

"it's a snakeskin." Hollyn said, climbing over a pile of rocks. 

"Bloody hell. Whatever shed this must be 60 feet long. Or more." 

They all turned their heads when they heard a loud thump and saw Lockhart on the ground.

"Heart of a lion, this one." Ron said. 

Lockhart snatched his wand and stood up quickly. "The adventure ends here, lady and gentlemen, but don't fret. The world will know our story. How I was too late to save the girl, how you all tragically lost your minds at the sight of her mangled body.  So... You first, Mr. Potter. Say goodbye to your memories. Obliviate!"

Ron's wand backfired and threw Lockhart back against the stone ceiling. The entire cave began to rumble and Hollyn pulled Harry's arm to keep him from being crushed. 

"Harry! Hollyn! Guys!" Ron yelled for the twins. 

"Ron, are you okay?" Harry asked. 

"I'm fine. Lockhart's memory charm backfired! He hasn't got a clue who he is! What do I do now?" Ron asked. 

"You wait here and try and shift some of this rock so we can get back through. We'll go on ahead and find Ginny." Harry told them. 

"Okay."

Harry climbed down from the rock pile and looked at Hollyn. "You okay?" He asked. 

"No. Another dark cave. Let's go." Hollyn shrugged. They both grabbed their wands and found a circular door with snakes covering it.

They both began to speak Parseltongue, watching a snake come around the edge of the door and push back all the heads of the other snakes. Hollyn thought it was a very dramatic design.

Inside it was extremely damp and moldy.

Snakes were lining the walls and all the way across the chamber was the head of a man. 

"Ginny." Harry noticed her lifeless body and started running towards her. "Ginny. Oh, Ginny, please don't be dead." Harry said. "Wake up, wake up."

"Harry." Hollyn reached down and touched his shoulder, grabbing his attention. He followed her gaze to the strange man coming from the shadows.

"She won't wake." He walked closer. 

"Tom. Tom Riddle." Harry said. "What do you mean she won't wake?" 

"She can't be dead." Hollyn said, holding Ginny's arm.

"She's still alive, but only just." Tom said. 

"Are you a ghost?" Hollyn asked. 

"A memory preserved in a diary for 50 years." Tom told her. 

"She's cold as ice." Harry touched Ginny's hand. "Ginny, please don't be dead. Wake up. You've got to help me, Tom. There's a basilisk." 

Hollyn turned and saw Tom Riddle grab their wands off the floor.

"Harry." Hollyn said. 

"It won't come until it's called." Tom said.

Hollyn kicked Harry's arm and her brother finally saw Tom holding his wand. 

"Give us our wands, Tom." Harry said. 

"You won't be needing them." He ran his fingers along the thin pieces of wood. 

"Listen, we've got to go. We've got to save her." Harry said.