Episode 37.5: A Trip Down Memory Lane

Start from the beginning

"You haven't changed, though, doofus. You've not changed one bit in all the years we've known each other.

"Oh, really?" Ray grinned, pulling both socks from his feet before wandering over to her chair with his tanned skin on display for her to enjoy. He stood behind her, hands resting on the chair's back so he could lean down and peck her cheek, lips next to her ear as she held his adoring gaze.

He loved her like this, fresh-faced, hair freshly brushed out, and wearing nothing but underwear before she changed into her pyjamas. When she smiled, he felt the sun's warmth on his face, making him cup her jaw from behind to pull her lips closer. She looked so natural and pure, young and innocent, like the first day he met her, back when he didn't know how one person could change him so much.

It was true; he hadn't changed much since then, not in appearance, personality, or habits, but there was one difference.

"I was a different man back then, darlin'. I didn't know what it was like to love you..."

~

First day, fresh face, new chances. Let's go, (y/l/n).

That's what (y/n) told herself as she stared at herself in the mirror, her face squeaky clean after she scrubbed it within an inch of its life to wake herself up. This was mad, she was mad--everything was mad about this situation, but it was too late to go back now.

No one told her that she'd find employment so soon after college. Still, she'd at least thought it would be working for a big company - aviation or automotive engineering, something like that, given her chosen degree. No one said anything about Captain Man wanting her in his super secret Man Cave.

That was the maddest thing of all. Her in the Man Cave. Her working for the Captain Man. It came out of nowhere; one minute, she was held at gunpoint in her favourite café with the handsome hero giving her his number. The next thing she knew, she received a text while packing up her dorm room.

Ray Manchester/Captain Man: Hey, it's me. Captain Man. We met at the café on the corner of South Street on Thursday. Hope you don't think this is weird, but I checked you out and saw you're graduating without anywhere to go. How do you fancy a job?

You could've knocked her down with a feather. Seriously, he remembered her number amongst the hundreds he collected every day. The man was a walking phone book, yet something told him to text little old her, even though she wasn't anything special. Not even beautiful by traditional standards.

No, (y/n) (y/l/n) was nothing to shout about. She didn't fall into the "not like other girls" category but wasn't a pick me, either. She was hideously average - ordinary - and she was okay with that, so why did Captain Man choose her?

Oh, well, not Captain Man. Ray Manchester. As she had now learned. She could keep a secret, having been almost bullied into it when a funny bald, almost coconut-headed man threatened to wipe her memory if she told anyone about her offer. A helper to the legendary hero, to help with any and all his needs, whether it be cleaning, washing, repairing, tidying, lying, cooking--you name it, she had to do it.

'A glorified cleaner,' she'd thought to herself, feeling slightly disappointed that she couldn't put her skills in engineering to more use, but for fifteen dollars an hour, she wasn't complaining, and neither did she come cheap.

It was her only condition to be adequately paid if she was expected to do all the jobs he didn't want to, even though he was generous enough to give her a place to live.

Her room was slowly starting to feel like home now she'd finished unpacking, but now it was time to get serious. Now, there was work to be done, which meant she had to leave her sanctuary and socialise. Why did she think she could do this?