Chapter 2: Dinner

Start from the beginning

Adair chuckles next to me and I shoot the dark haired man a glare that he returns.

"Why are you suddenly looking at me? You want to apologize to me too?" He ponders, his dark brown eyes drinking me in. His eyes drop down to his lap suggestively and I almost die.

"S-shut up." I stutter, trying to draw out irritation. I stab at my food aggressively. "Never in a hundred years." I add on gruffly.

"Make it a million." Augustus corrects and my eyes go to him as his emerald gaze turns hard.

I try not to frown at his response as I give him a hard look. Out of all of my adoptive brothers, Augustus has been the least vocal about me joining. I don't know why he hates me. Maybe because he thinks I'm ugly. I don't bother responding to the older man in front of me as I lightly touch the side of my face. It has to be my scar.

I let my hand drop to my lap and I look away from Augustus. My eyes fall on Calloway who holds a similar posture to Hunter. His hand rests under Oscar's chin as he waves a piece of roast beef before him.

"Just one bite. Please?" Calloway murmurs softly. Oscar's down turned lips drag into a deeper frown as he leans away. His silky brown hair rushes forward from behind his ear shadowing his face from us. The wall of oak brown hair cuts him off from the world.

I don't like it.

"No, no Callie, really. I ate a snack earlier." Oscar waves Calloway away without looking up. The older man frowns, and snatches a hand through his raven shaded hair. He swallows a sigh that floats to his eyes, causing a sadness to darken the soft blue in his gaze. Calloway smiles, leaning in closer to Oscar.

"Oscar. Please. Don't do this." He whispers, his voice teetering between a beg and a command. He clears his throat, his eyebrows furrowing before he holds the fork closer to Oscar's mouth. "Just one more bite. For me." He states, his voice growing firmer.

"I can't eat anymore. Please don't make me. I ate earlier. I really did. I'm not lying this time. I promise." Oscar protests, his voice cracking.

It cracks my heart and I lean across Ozzie without thinking. My hand brushes over his arms as I practically lay on his lap. Calloway's gaze meets my own and I push the fork away from my face as I give him a smile.

"We ate some Poptarts earlier." I lie easily and Calloway's brows furrow further. He bites the inside of his cheek as he regards me with a suspicious look.

"Asher you're not helping him if you're ly--."

"I know Callie." I interrupt him with a groan and roll my eyes. "I'm not lying, we literally ate a snack earlier." I explain, motioning to the box of Poptarts on the counter. Calloway glances behind him at the counter and he chews on his bottom lip.

"I--okay." He says reluctantly and he shakes his head once, black strands falling into his light eyes as he pulls away from us. Callie doesn't say anything else as he returns to his own plate. Guilt hits me as I pull back and I can't help but notice the way Calloway pulls at the roots of his hair. A frustrated look ages his cute features and I almost call out to him to tell him the truth, but I stop myself, tearing my eyes away from him to look at my Ozzie. I rather feel guilty than see Oscar upset. I remove myself from his lap, patting his thigh as I draw back.

"You owe me a favor, Ozzie." I tease, my voice a whisper. I lean close to him so Calloway won't hear me and I brush his hair behind his ear, so that I can see his face. His brown hazel gaze meets mine and a blush rises to his cheeks.

"Thanks, Ash." Oscar returns my whisper and I watch as his eyes fall to my lips. They jump back up to my eyes and his plump lips part.

"You have to eat all of your breakfast tomorrow though." I say, ignoring his reaction as I pull away from him. "Promise?" I hold up my pinky finger. His eyes drop down to my hand and he stares at it as if it's a ticking bomb. "Ozzie." I press and the man nods slowly, finally lifting his hand. He wraps his finger around my own.