She knew she made a grave mistake, but was it so big that her parents turned so against her? Wasn't it the job of parents to stand by and protect their child? Then why was she left alone to suffer this fate.

***

It was time for Riya to bid goodbye to her family, and the tears of her felt like an obligation. She knew they were happy to get rid of the shame named Riya, the tears they shed was for others to see how pained they were to part from their beloved daughter. 

Riya stood motionless as her mother and aunts hugged her. ''Don't repeat your mistakes.'' Her mom whispered

''I wish God doesn't repeat his of making you a parent in any life.'' Her words stopped all the wailing, and in a minute, they started again. Riya never bothered to look at her family as she took quick steps to the vehicle. They feared about her making a show and putting a dent in their honor. Well, her emotionless departure would definitely leave few whispers behind. Riya rolled the windows up, not eager to give her family a glance. She was done with all the emotions for life.

Shaan stared at his new wife, she was a seemed to be a robot running on batteries. He saw the hollow of her eyes, shutting his eyes once he wished for her pain to go away. 

***

''You didn't have to drag her name through the mud.'' Varun said, staring at his father accusingly. 

Vijay Deevan stared at his son with loath, ''You should be thankful that I gave in to your mother's whims.''

''There was no need for Riya to be humiliated.'' Varun repeated

''Stop being wuss! You should be happy I saved your name and mine. What more will happen, her family will get her married and she will move on.'' Vijay Deevan then looked into the eyes of his youngest child, ''So will you.''

He huffed. ''How I wished that you weren't such a disappointment. I wish you were more like me , your siblings, and not like your mother. A pathetic artist. I thought this prestigious institution could bring some good change, but I forgot, rotten can never be undone.''

Varun closed his fists hard,'The filth in this room is you, Vijay Deevan. You destroyed one life, and you dared to call by mom names. This is a last straw. Hereon, consider me dead.''

Vijay laughed. ''You can't survive a day without my name.''

''I will survive a day and this life. This is a promise.'' Varun walked away from the visiting hall where he and his father met after the chaos he caused. It destroyed the life of one person who  accepted him for who he was, but he broke her. 

''Your one mistake will haunt you for life.''  His best friend and room mate Lakshay  had said, and Varun knew his sufferings had just started. 

Moving to his room, he started throwing his stuff into a bag. ''What are you doing? Lakshay asked

''Vijay Deevan just disowned me. He won't pay a penny for me to be here. I need to leave.'' Lakshay grabbed his friend by his shoulders. ''He disowned you. I didn't. I have spoken to my Dad. He has paid your fees, and you can take this as a loan and pay back once we are famous.''

''I am a looser.''

Lakshay rubbed Varun's arm. ''It shouldn't have happened. Riya never deserved this. Varun, I wish you could see how innocent and pure her love was. It didn't matter to her that you loved her back. She just wanted to be around you. To admire you and make you smile. For her, you were the epitome of perfection , she trusted you, and you shattered that.''

Varun hid his face in his palms and sobbed. ''I was scared.''

''Your fear scarred her.'' Lakshay took a moment. ''We cannot undo what's done, but we can always do better for future. Promise me you will do better in the future, and you will not repeat what happened.''

''Why are you so forgiving?''

''You didn't witness how her dad treated her. I did. I know how heartbroken she was. She looked around for you, but she didn't find you. She looked at me with those dead eyes, and I knew her life. Her dreams were over. She won't have a chance but I want you to have a chance. Whatever it takes, however long it takes, find her and beg her for forgiveness. Do all in your might to lessen her pain and damage. And you will only be able to do this when you have at least one forgiveness. So yes, I will forgive you for giving you this chance.

***

Present

Varun jolted out hearing the hymns the priest recited to bond Lakshay and Nirali in the bond of holy matrimony. The couple looked elated  as they smiled at each other. They held their hands as they took vows around the holy fire. Varun's eyes moved to Riya. She stood in a corner with Shaan, her whole form devoid of any emotion. That night, it wasn't just Lakshay and Nirali who took those vows, Varun took the seven vows in her heart for the girl her loved for so many years. He vowed to get her forgiveness, her vowed to make her smile, he vowed to make her happy , he vowed to make her believe in love, he vowed to stand by her and he vowed his life to her.

Riya stood emotionless, watching her friend take small steps to her happily ever after. She was happy for Nirali, and she knew Lakshay would take care of her with his life, but the idea of love made her choke. He just smiled to himself.

''You are coming for pictures?'' Shaan asked

''He is a celebrity, I don't want Sharmas to know I m in India.'' Riya voiced her concerns. 

''Riya, you don't have to fear them.''

''I don't, but for now, I need peace for you and your coming baby.'' He nodded and gave her a side hug. ''Can I say something?''

''Have you zipped it when I said no.'' Riya countered, and Shaan laughed. He took her small hand into his. ''Riya, you need to let go of the anger for once. If opportunity comes, give your heart a chance.'' She opened her mouth, but he silenced her. ''I know everything but still, sometimes mistakes however big they are have to be forgiven for our own good. Promise me you will when time is right.''

She nodded, Shaan was everything a woman wanted, but she couldn't love him because she could only love the man who broke her into a million pieces.

Riya felt being watched. She turned, and her eyes met that of Varun. He was staring at her like a sailer looking for a north star or a broken man looking for hope. She quickly looked away, hiding her face in the curtains of her dark hair. No, she wasn't going to give him any chance to break her again. She was happy the way she was, and nothing cold broke her circle of protection.

"Your journey is going to be a tough one." Amisha said, her eyes focused on Varun. "I have made up my mind, Amisha. Even if it takes a lifetime, I will do all to get her to forgive me."

"What if she forgives you, but she refuses to accept your love? What will you do then?" She sounded worried.

Varun took a deep breath, "Then we take this story to next life. Amisha, she has loved me with a devotion that I am ready to give this and the next few lives for her forgiveness."

"I don't want to fall in love," Amisha declared

Varun chuckled, "No one does, but they do. I had fallen once , now I will rise I  love." Amisha understood nothing. Varun pecked her forehead and then took the stage to perform on occasion of his friends wedding.

‐-------------------------------------------------------------------