Yeji chuckled at that, shaking her head. "But Ryujin never cared that much about fashion.."

Keith nodded, grinning wide. "Oh, yeah. She hates that stuff. But, I don't know, something tonight has her worked up. It's just a date night, right? You're not popping the question, or anything? Maybe you left the ring box out and she saw and wanted to look nice." Keith shrugged, elbowing Yeji gently.

Yeji's eyes widened and she choked on her own laugh.

Ryujin was nervous for their first date, too. That was good news.

Oh, and Keith thought she was going to propose marriage to Ryujin.

Fantastic. At least they'd sold their act well enough.

Maybe that was her calling. Acting. Was it really acting? Professional lying, maybe?

"I-" Yeji cleared her throat. "Not that I'm aware of." She settled on that, chancing a smile at Keith.

"Just a date, then?" Keith smirked. "That's a fine love you two have there. Man, if she still gets butterflies and babbles like an idiot to me and her mother at this stage in the game, Yeji, she's yours."

Yeji felt an achy tug in her chest, and she averted her gaze, suddenly finding the white, cake-like layering of the ceiling to be incredibly interesting. She hated lying to Keith. He'd been nothing but good to her. He'd been fatherly, loving, and supportive. He barely knew her. Or, so she thought.

And Yeji had lied, and lied, and lied. She'd lied about loving and cherishing his only daughter, about keeping her safe and protecting her. She'd lied about the status of their relationship, even though it was just now blooming.

It didn't matter. She was just as Nia predicted. She was beneath them, and she'd somehow slipped up and forgotten her place.

"Listen, uh, Yeji," Keith began, placing a hand on her wrist. She glanced down, offering him a weak smile. "Can I talk to you for a moment? Seriously?"

Yeji swallowed the lump in her throat.

Oh, god, he knew. He knew, and he'd been testing her all along. He knew, and he'd been gauging her less than desirable responses.

"Look." Keith sighed, his hazel eyes piercing Yeji's, like Ryujin's did. "I know that Ryujin isn't always the easiest.." He Chuckled, shaking his head. "Wait. No. You know what? This isn't even about her." Keith shook his head once more, now impassioned in his speech. "This is about you."

Yeji's virid gaze widened as she opened her mouth, unable to form a coherent sentiment. "I-"

"You are really something; you know that?" Keith began, but the question seemed rhetorical, and Yeji let her unuttered response die in her throat. "I've seen Ryujin with a lot of people. I mean, even the family, these kids.. You're different. I noticed how much she loves you from the moment I saw you two interact. It just clicked in my head, y'know? God, I haven't seen Ryujin smile so widely in years. The last time I've seen this-this life, this happiness in her, it was when I told her she could pursue art."

Yeji felt the unsettling rhythm of her heart beat blood into her weakened body. She was unable to think, to speak, to do anything other than breathe, and listen to Keith's every word, contemplating the meaning.

This didn't feel like an accusation.

"And art means a lot to Ryujin." Keith shrugged, one hand still holding Yeji's wrist. "She loves it. But when she sees you, she's even happier. And I just know she loves you more, and I didn't think that was even possible." Keith Chuckled in amazement. "But like I said, this isn't about Ryujin. I got to know you, these past few days. I got to see your character and your integrity, and I lisChaned to Ryujin just go on and on about how driven and sharp you are...I mean, magna cum laude Georgetown, what a success! And Ryujin has told me that you haven't had the best of backgrounds, but I'm so glad you found us. Because this family is very willing to have you, Yeji."