Chapter 2

Hey everyone, I really hope you all enjoy this story. I'll do my best to update as much as possible and keep things entertaining and interesting. Let me know what you think about this first chapter, constructive criticism is very much welcomed!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She wasn't sure exactly how long it had been since the turn, or how many of those walking the earth were still alive and breathing, but she was well aware of the fact that things would never be the same even if there ended up being some miraculous cure and the world was saved. There was no coming back from this.

One of the strangest things about this new world was the lack of rules. In the old days the fact that she was standing in a dimly lit pharmacy shoving prescriptions into her pack would have landed her in some serious hot water, but now it was perfectly normal and to be expected. So normal, in fact, that she had been more than a little surprised to find that the shelves behind the pharmacist's counter were still fully stocked.

It wasn't like she was complaining.

Thea had just shoved a large pill bottle containing antibiotics into the rapidly filling front pocket of her blue backpack when she heard the squeak of shoes on the tile floor near the front of the store. She froze for just a moment to listen but only found silence; maybe she had been imagining things.

Just as she began to reach for another bottle a hushed sound came from the same direction. Slowly zipping her bag closed to keep the noise from alerting whoever, or whatever, was now in the store with her, she reached down to grab the red axe she had propped up against shelf and slipped the pack back onto her back and secured the clip across her torso.

Thea turned and made her way towards the back door she had noticed earlier, always a good idea to know your exits, to make a quick getaway. Sure she could handle one dead guy but if it wasn't necessary she did her best to avoid any and all contact with any of the infected. That's what she called them at first, the infected, because that's what they were. Now however? Dead was not the same as sick and she didn't have a name for them.

As she moved between shelves she heard a dull thud in the wall above her head. Her eyes followed the noise and she stifled a gasp at the arrow that was now sunk into the drywall just inches from where her head had just been.

So it wasn't a dead one, but she had come to find that the living were often more dangerous these days. She needed to leave now.

She ducked low as she moved quickly towards the door, the grip on the handle of her axe tightening in preparation; if she had to defend herself she would, it wouldn't be the first time.

She was at the door when she heard a muttered curse, glanced back to see a dark figure pull the arrow from the wall, and then shoved the door open and ran out into the alleyway which was thankfully dead guy free.

It wasn't empty however, and she had to skid to a halt to avoid running headfirst into a large black man holding a crowbar. He was standing at the closest end of the alley and upon seeing her his eyes widened.

"Hey!" he called as she turned to escape down the opposite side of the alleyway.

Thea jumped to the side as she passed by the door she'd just exited. It flung open to reveal a man with dark hair and a crossbow, but she didn't pause to study him fully. Instead she took off at full speed, knocking several boxes down to block their path should they attempt to follow her.

"Get back here!"

Not bothering to turn to see which of the men was the one to shout at her she rounds the corner leading out into the street and pauses for just a second to check that the coast is clear. When she's sure there aren't any more threats nearby she chooses to circle the store to go back to the side she'd left the bicycle she'd stolen.

Looking back she would realize how that was not a smart move.

As she passed by the front door of the shop she'd just vacated she felt a body slam into hers from the side. She landed on the pavement hard, a loud grunt escaping her lips as her side slammed into the metal pole holding up a parking meter and her axe skidded across the sidewalk out of reach. There was someone on her back holding her down but they didn't seem to have much strength, so she threw an elbow back to get them off.

It connected with the hard bone of the man's jaw and he let out a cry of pain, his grip loosening just enough for Thea to crawl towards her axe. Just as her hand grasped the handle, a boot stepped forward onto the head to prevent her from lifting the weapon and the silver blade of a sword came down to point in her face; a warning.

"Get up slowly," a woman spoke, her voice deep and serious as if the sword wasn't threatening enough.

If she hadn't been before, Thea knew for sure she was screwed now. She released her grip on the axe handle and lifted herself onto her hands and knees at a slow pace, her head remained bowed and her eyes locked on the sharp steel pointed at her nose. She put her hands up first, palms out, and then rose to her feet.