THE CUT THAT ALWAYS BLEEDS

Maybe it was just pure coincidence that I wanted her to call me, and she did. Right there and then. She called me, and she talked to me. And maybe, yes, maybe, it was a coincidence, but I couldn't believe that, we were connected. We always have been connected, like twin-flames or soulmates or whatever shit people think nowadays.

The conversation lasted, around, thirty minutes, yet it felt like the first summer breeze after a cold, harsh, and mean winter. As if, it was everything I had needed ever since I hadn't had it. She felt the same. Well, I think, she felt the same. Her words were so, unusually, kind, and, maybe her voice changed over the years, but she spoke so softly now.

Have you ever complemented someone else so... purely? Like, you were always meant-to-be, and every single rom-com ever, was so incredibly right? It didn't feel like that. It felt, more mature. She calmed every storm I had growing inside me, all of the bits of me that didn't quite fit in their place, everything just made sense, I suppose.

The conversation ended with a simple goodbye on her end, her exact words were, "Goodbye, then, I'll see you soon!" If I'm completely honest, I have no clue what it is I agreed to do. Or the reason she said she'll see me soon. Was it just her way of saying goodbye and ending the phone-call? I couldn't tell, and so I drove all the way home, asking myself the same bloody question.

"What was it that she meant?"- Not knowing who else to call, I told this entire thing to someone I knew would probably know the answer, if not I just sat through a lunch with a man I dislike.

"Yes, Do you think I agreed to something? Or that she just wanted to hang up?"- Feeling like a little boy for me is uncommon, but I swear to whatever higher being there is, I felt clueless. Not that Toji, out of all people, was doing better than me in anyway, but they got close once we separated, I guess.

"Probably that you agreed to meet, should've asked once you came to your senses, instead of being... weird? I don't know, point is, you can't ask now, 'cuz she'll think you forgot and won't want to go out."- He couldn't even say it looking at me, he just dismissed it as simple facts, meanwhile I'm staring in disbelief because what the actual fuck do I do now? Because, apparently, I can't fucking ask.

"Then, can you ask her when she coming to Tokyo? If you get an answer by 7pm, I'll pay for dinner, as well, although, don't think I'll join you then."- Toji Fushiguro went to an expensive university, and received the best quality training. Fast-forward to the present, he is ridiculously rich and I think it's because, everyone other than Gurumi, pays for whatever he is having, otherwise he refuses to leave the house.

"Yeah, sounds good. I don't want to see you again either, so, don't worry, I'll text it to you and then change my number, 'aight?"- While speaking, he stood up and extended his hand, as a comic villain does, to seal the deal, I, obviously as the hero, shook his hand for the greater good of not ruining my chances with Gurumi.

Once I got home, I found myself constantly checking my phone, Itadori was onto something when he said I needed therapy. Still, I can't forget it, I need her to phone me. If I was to be honest, I've always considered her my girl. Funny enough that I never asked her out on a single date though.

Goddamn it! I kept convincing myself it was better to stay friends, but now, damn. If I had asked her out, at least, I wouldn't have faded away from her life. She would be able to remember me and feel, something at least. I was so scared, that little voice in my head kept telling me to run, I feel like that voice is going to be the death of me.

Although, I really, truly, didn't want to, I had scheduled a date for tonight, with a girl named Tomoe. She's the barista for my regular coffee shop, and last monday, she asked me out to a boba date. I said yes, like a douche, because I know I won't like her. Maybe I'll care for her as a friend, even might be, slightly, attracted to her, but I know I won't love her.

Either way, I had to get ready since if nothing, I'm a man of my word. And I would hate to disappoint someone whom I've known for so long, it wasn't a bad thing to explore, right? I've been telling myself so for the last five years. Most of these thoughts, only come to me once I'm showering, but reflecting on my life has been more common place than ever.

By the time I was done getting ready for a, supposedly casual date, it was already 6:30pm. From my house to the agreed upon meeting place, it's a 20 minute ride, but I'd rather be early. In the inside of my pants pocket, I felt my phone buzz, I thought it was Toji with the answers I had asked him for.

It was Gurumi. My charade dropped, as did my keys, while I was trying to open the door. The panic was spreading throughout my body like I was a twelve year old, who had forgotten to de-frost the chicken when his mom went out. Regardless of how I felt, I still picked up, I was giddy. Up until I heard why she called me.

-"Hey, Satoru! Um, Which one of these is your house?"- She asked tip-toeing between calm and embarrassed. -"I didn't forget the description, or anything, but these all look alike."-

-"shit."- Whispering under my breath, finally remembering what we had agreed upon. She told me she was on her way to Tokyo because her job transferred her over here, for a charity or something. I told her that if she wanted she could stay with me, since I knew that finding a temporary place over here was hard, she had said yes, and that she'll be there by 7:00pm.

-"Satoru? I'm sorry, Are you out? I can wait, just tell me where to park."- Anyone could tell she was smiling out of shame, even if you weren't looking straight at her. As I raised my hand to rub my eyes, I blurred out.

-"No, no, it's fine, I was on my way out for groceries. My house is 1032. I'll wait for you outside, okay?"- What was I thinking? Lying to her through my teeth? And now, on top of that, I'll have to stop for groceries when I did that three days ago.

-"Oh, great! I got a little worried, I thought I was stepping a boundary, I think I'm outside your house now."- She let out a breathy sigh before she spoke, she's so nice. Gurumi could barely think people would hurt anyone, let alone hurt her.

I stepped outside, mostly because I told her I would, and didn't hang up the phone until a car parked near mine, afterwards, Gurumi stepped outside of her vehicle. She looked around until she looked at me, and shot me a smile, like she'd never done. She really had changed. Did I even know her anymore? Would it matter? I haven't changed, at all. But she seemed, different.

I smiled back at her, finally hanging up the phone. She came up to me, and we just stared at each other, not knowing how to greet one another. Eventually, I caved in and hugged her. After that, I let her inside. By this time, it was 7:00pm, and I had gotten a message from Toji and the girl I was supposed to meet with today.

One said, "I can't meet today, I'm so sorry! Can we reeschedule?", and the other one, "She's supposed to be at your house right now, if something happens, you're done for."

Fucking Toji.