TWENTY-SEVEN

I could only wonder howTouching you would make me feelBut if I take that chance right nowTomorrow, will you want me still?

Touching you would make me feel
But if I take that chance right now
Tomorrow, will you want me still?

In the secluded chamber Aemond shared with Rhaella, the pair readied themselves for their clandestine union before the break of dawn. The young maiden adorned herself in a delicate gown of tattered cotton lace, the fabric seemingly scarce. Yet, in this simplistic attire, she had never felt more resplendent.

Here, she stood before the man whom her heart belonged. A man, mere weeks prior, she had perceived as a terrifying creature—not owing to his disfigurement, but the abyssal darkness within his heart. Now, before the man she loved with every fiber of her being, his affection etched indelible marks upon her soul.

The once timid and unassuming man rose with the assuredness of an army. A cunning grin graced his fierce visage as he gazed upon his cherished one. With gentle conviction, Aemond spoke, "Unto thee, my resplendent, benevolent, and tender-hearted betrothed. In truth, I sought not love when I stumbled upon thy grace, and in a realm devoid of thy presence, the joy I experience with thee may forever elude me. In supplication, I entreat the Seven to grant us a boundless eternity, our fates entwined as one."

Never did the young princess imagine she could experience the contentment that enveloped her in this moment. The sun's first light danced within the depths of Rhaella's violet eyes, revealing a touch of unadulterated sweetness.

In a hushed murmur, she breathed, "My affection for you, I shall possess without discerning the manner, the moment, or the origin. I cherish you purely, devoid of tribulations or vanity. I offer my devotion in this manner, for no other means of love do I comprehend, save this one, where neither you nor I exist in isolation, so closely entwined that thy hand upon my breast becomes mine own, so closely entwined that as I succumb to slumber, thine eyes take their rest."

The enamoured pair turned towards the towering windows of the chamber, unveiling a glorious sunset before them—a gentle orange glow cast upon the distant horizon, beyond the vast ocean and the Seven Seas.

"By the gods, it is a sight unmatched in beauty," Rhaella confessed, gazing at the vista.

Aemond's lips curled into a knowing smile, "Indeed, my love, as are you."

A sudden crack of the chamber doors opened, revealing the Kingdom's pastor. An older gentleman with deep wrinkles, and a cross hanging from his neck. In a shaky voice, he announced, "I apologize for my tardiness. I was informed a bit last minute of this occurrence. My apologies, your highnesses."

As the sun continued its descent beyond the horizon, bathing the chamber in a warm, golden hue, the lovers stood hand in hand, their hearts racing with anticipation. The clandestine ceremony that awaited them was a testament to their undying devotion, a bond that could not be severed by the whims of fate or the cruel hand of destiny.