TWENTY-SIX

Confusion never stopsClosing walls, and ticking clocksCome back and take you homeI could not stop now that you now knowCome out upon my seas,Am I a part of the cure?Or am I a part of the disease?

Closing walls, and ticking clocks
Come back and take you home
I could not stop now that you now know
Come out upon my seas,
Am I a part of the cure?
Or am I a part of the disease?

Rhaella sighed, a forced breath of air escaping her chest. "I apologize for my teasing nature. It is not my intention to arouse you without action. I am much too inexperienced for such sexual endeavors."

Amused, the prince grinned at his betrothed. "Ah, inexperienced? I sincerely doubt that, considering you must be the kingdom's delight, like your mother...."

"Do not mock me, Aemond. You know of my isolation from civilization. I am nothing more than a recluse," the woman groaned.

A sly grin stretched across the man's face as he gloated. "Indeed, though, you have changed. Since your arrival, you have flourished into the person you were born to be and not what your mother coerced you into becoming."

"Never mind, Rhaenyra, she is dead to me." Rhaella declared with a lingering sadness. Her tone quickly changed as she admired the orange and pink skies, "I want to live for today! We haven't an idea of what the future holds. Let us bask in the enjoyment of being young and in love," she exclaimed.

The man adjusted his seating on the bed and grinned at Rhaella. "Oh, my betrothed!" You are an exciting creature...."

She reached out her hands for Aemond to take, and with a faint smile, the young princess said loud enough for the man to hear, "Let us marry on our terms and without the pressures of our name attached. I want to lie by your side tonight, not as your betrothed but as your doting wife."

The one-eyed prince gathered his thoughts before rising to the woman's level. He took a deep breath and lowered his gaze to his lover's. "Are you certain you wish to marry before dusk? Is this a mere whim or a testament to your traditional virtue?"

"It is all I ask, Aemond...." Rhaella sighed, caressing the man's cheek. "I am unsure how long we will be in the good grace of our family. After our spontaneous visit to this strange yet, beautiful land, I doubt we may act upon impulse again with such wonder."

He pursed his lips together, his violet eyes glimmering off the reflection of the beaming sun. "I understand your urgency to elope, but I do not long for a marriage built on defiance of our family."

With a sigh, she pinched the bridge of her nose for a moment before drifting her gaze elsewhere. "We need not be formal, Aemond. I could dress as plain as a maid, and nobody shall know of our doings. Why hinder the wonders of this beautiful land as a mere resting spot for lives as royals?"

"Never mind that. We may discuss this tomorrow," he sneered.

She breathed a long-awaited breath, looking anywhere except the man. "Are you fearful of the judgments of your mother? Must you cast stones at an already feeble heart?"

"My love, we have all the time in the world to elope. There is no rush," Aemond remarked in a soft voice.

The woman's eyes began to prickle with tears as she caressed her lover's face. "I shan't admit such weakness, but I fear the demise of the Targaryens. This tension between us and them is fueling the flames of our family's affairs."

He shook his head as a line was drawn between his brows. "Nothing of the sort shall occur. We have been a thriving dynasty for centuries. A petty incident amongst our family will not jeopardize our lineage."

"From the moment I arrived in this kingdom, I have dreamt of flames engulfing this land and ashes being the sole survivor of its people. I have no choice in my lineage, the color of my hair, nor even life and death - not even in the matter of whom I shall wed!" She heaved a soft sigh, her fingers caressing Aemond's hair. "All that I beseech is to be joined in marriage on my own terms, and not those of another."

The man smirked, stroking Rhaella's silken, pale-white hair with a smile. "If this marriage shall bring us joy, then I shall act forthwith for us to elope to this island."

"Make a vow to me, for the last glimmer of light touches the horizon, that we shall be wed as man and wife." Aemond assented with a nod, before pressing a gentle kiss upon his betrothed's forehead. "Then it shall be done, my beloved." Prince Aemond hastened from the room, his cloak billowing in his wake, leaving Rhaella to brood with dejection. She crossed her arms and bit her lip, drawing forth a trickle of blood. The young princess shook her head in vexation, folding her arms across her chest and sighing, "May the seven seas show mercy to my soul."

As Aemond strode from the spacious chamber in search of Prince Sebastian, he pondered the possible troubles he and his betrothed might face upon their return to King's Landing. The Queen would doubtless be displeased with them, as would his half-sister, Rhaenyra. Yet the man cared not. The world was but an apple in his grasp, and he craved a bite. Nothing else mattered, neither crown nor throne. He envisioned his growing family--pale-haired children, unlike Rhaenyra's, frolicking about the castle with their mother's grace and their father's valor. He grinned at the thought, continuing his stroll to find the man.

Moments later, Aemond heard a faint moan and the rustle of a spring being disturbed. The sound piqued his curiosity, and he hastened toward the source. In a dimly lit chamber mere feet away, he peered inside to find Prince Sebastian and a courtesan cavorting against a mural. His expression twisted slightly at the sight of the man's bare posterior grinding against the woman, whose skirt had ridden up her legs and lay draped against the man's torso. Awkwardly, the young prince retreated from the scene and headed in the opposite direction. It would be better to discuss plans of marriage with the King, or as the Dornish put it, "the more reserved prince of Dorne," rather than engage with the immature, lustful prince.

Rhaella stood by the window, her eyes tracing the vibrant hues of the sky as thoughts of her impending marriage consumed her. She could not shake the feeling of unease that wrapped around her heart like a cold, unyielding chain. A knock at the door broke her reverie, and she turned to see a young servant girl entering the chamber with a tray of food.

"Your Highness, I have brought you nourishment," the girl said timidly as she set the tray on the table. Rhaella forced a smile, though her thoughts remained heavy.

"Thank you, child," she replied, her mind far from the thought of food. As she picked at the modest fare, Rhaella found herself lost in contemplation of her future and the turmoil she could sense brewing in the realm.

Meanwhile, Aemond met with King Declan, father to Prince Sebastian, in the royal solar, seeking guidance and approval for his and Rhaella's desire to marry on their terms. The aged monarch listened intently, his eyes piercing as he considered the implications of the young couple's request.

"I understand your desire to marry for love and not just for political gain," King Declan finally said, his voice steady. "However, you must consider your duty to the realm and your ailing father's wishes. If you choose to marry in my kingdom, I must remain oblivious to you and your betrothed's actions. This must not affect my people, understood?"

Aemond took a deep breath, his heart heavy with the weight of his decision. "I understand, Your Grace. If the King or Queen of the Seven Kingdoms inquire about our marriage, rest assured you shall not be named a witness."

And so, Aemond returned to Rhaella with both determination and caution. As the sun dipped below the horizon, the couple vowed to each other that they would marry, but they would also consider the greater good of their kingdom. In the end, love would not be their only guide – duty and responsibility would also play a role in their union, for the sake of their family and the realm.

With a mixture of joy and trepidation, Rhaella and Aemond began to plan their future together, striving to balance their love for one another with the needs of their kingdom – a task that would challenge them in ways they could not yet fathom.