044.

JULY 2ND, 1985
📍starcourt mall
11:13 AM

"the keycard opens the door, but unfortunately, the russian with this keycard also has a massive gun," dustin explained to the three teens after getting back from his spy trip. "whatever's in this room, whatever's in those boxes, they really don't want anybody finding it."

"but there's gotta be a way in," robin replied.

"well, you know.." steve voiced casually, wrapping an arm around josie's shoulders. "i could just take him out."

"take who out?" robin asked.

"the russian guard," he stated, making josie turn to look at him in amusement. "what? i sneak up behind him, i knock him out, and i take his keycard. it's easy."

"really?" josie asked, beginning to laugh.

"yes, really.. you're rude, you know?" he replied, removing his arm from her shoulders. "girlfriends are supposed to be supportive. why am i dating you?"

"josie's laughter is valid, steve," dustin spoke up, crossing his arms over his chest. "please, tell me this, and be honest, have you ever actually.. won a fight?"

"okay, that was one time—"

"twice," josie piped up. "do you remember that little disagreement with jonathan?"

"listen, that doesn't count," steve scoffed.

"why wouldn't it count? because it sounds like he beat the shit out of you," dustin said in response.

"oh, he did," josie nodded along. "for a scrawny guy, jonathan packs a punch."

"okay, thank you for that," steve told her. "feeling very loved by you right now... besides, i did win a fight. do you remember that kevin guy, jos?"

"that was in seventh grade, and kevin was fat. that doesn't count," the girl responded.

"how does it not—"

suddenly, robin quickly stood up, mumbling to herself. she headed towards their tips jar, grabbed a handful and began making her way out of the shop.

"hey, robin!" steve called. "what are you doing?"

"i need cash," she shrugged.

"well, that's also mine and josie's! where are you going?"

"to find us a way into that room," she answered. "a safe way.. and, in the meantime, sling ice cream, behave, and don't get beat up. i'll be back in a jiff!"

"'don't get beat up'," steve mocked. "i hate her."

josie smiled. "i love her."

— 🫶☁️💘 —

JULY 2ND, 1985
📍starcourt mall
12:02 PM

"it is fascinating what twenty bucks will get you at the county recorder's office," robin announced upon her return. she opened her backpack, pulled out a large piece of paper and unfolded it, laying it out on the table in front of them. "starcourt mall. the complete blueprints."