Chapter Chapter Thirty-One: Help

Larken's POV:

My gaze flicks to Asara at Dorian's question.

I know her episode this morning had been frightening and embarrassing, but her family men deserve to know.

We can't make the best decisions for her if not all of us have the information.

"Asara, would you like to tell them, or should I?" I question softly, seeing her pleading look.

I know she wishes to keep this to ourselves, but long ago as brothers we all promised to share our women this way.

Asara only shakes her head and I sigh.

"Asara had a bit of an episode this morning when she was out with Killian," I admit carefully.

"An... episode?" Dorian questions carefully.

"A panic attack..." I admit, earning silence from my brothers. I look to Killian, seeing if he wants to expand.

"I think everything with the scandal in combination with her new duties is... overwhelming," Killian elaborates.

"If she is not ready for motherhood yet, you need to respect that. You have made it clear you will respect her wishes with this?" Dorian questions me.

"Yes, of course," I assure.

"There is plenty of more responsibilities for her as a wife though beyond baring Larken an heir," Killian steps in.

"Yes," I agree.

"Were these not things she has been preparing for? Asara, what is it that is troubling you? We can certainly find a way around it," Dorian assures, quick to find the issue.

"I-I was. I..." Asara seems she wants to plead her case, but she stops herself, more tears gathering in her gaze. 

"I think sometimes we expect that just because we have grown into men and are ready to jump into things, Asara is ready to do the same. But she is still... a young woman... a woman still, but...

"This is not Kitsuk we are speaking of. I think we forget although we have already gone through many of these issues with Kitsuk, this is Asara's first time and she isn't going to get as much grace as Kitsuk once did.

"When Kitsuk learned to be a wife and mother, it was no one but us and Kimmel's clan. Many eyes follow us now and Asara by extension. She's..." I hesitate although they all know what I means to say.

"A child in some ways still," Adir finishes and I nod hesitantly.

Shame fills me because I feel as though I forced her into this.

She is really just a child... a child in a woman's body.

"I am not a child," Asara rasps out, interrupting our conversation.

I'm unsure of the chord I have struck, but Dorian seems to understand.

"You're not a child. You're a young woman, a young wife," Dorian assures, gently lifting Asara to be sat on my lap, sensing Asara starting to get upset in a different way.

She sniffles and I gently wipe her tears away, seeing how she is embarrassed by them in front of all of us men.

"I may have been a little stern in my questioning... all things considered," Dorian finally admits, placing a gentle pat to her head.

She sniffles again and nods in agreement to Dorian's words although I don't think he was looking for a response from her.

"I'm sorry, my lord. I will be better," Asara cries.