41. Who Did She Take After?

Start from the beginning

But before she stepped out she turned once to see His Majesty reaching out and picking Ara from the sofa. Jeanette had always heard about His Majesty being a cruel and strict man but watching him carrying Ara in this state was enough to make Jeanette feel that he had a lot of love for his daughters.

Jeanette felt slightly disappointed that she didn't get to talk much with Ara as she had to leave.

Just as Jeanette had left the palace Ara groaned as she woke up and Claude looked at her.

"Didn't sleep for long."

"Did Jeanette leave?" Ara sat up and then gripped her head as the throbbing in her head returned. It was strange that her headaches were getting worse each day.

The other day, her head hurt so much that she couldn't even walk and collapsed in the garden. As she regained consciousness she felt as if she heard Athanasia's voice but when she opened her eyes she saw Jeanette instead and just as the moments passed she felt her headache disappear.

"Felix, get the doctors." Claude ordered as he saw Ara groaning.

At the Alpheus manor, Jeanette was shocked to learn that Princess Amara had ordered another private meeting with her.

"What?"

"What did you two talk about? Didn't you say you left because His Majesty told you so since she fell asleep?" Roger asked.

"We-We didn't talk about anything." Jeanette said and Roger stared at the paper in his hand with his glasses fixed on his long nose.

He hummed lightly as he wondered just what was going. He knew that the mana explosion made the royal family believe that it was an assassination attempt and he wondered just what was going on currently. His Majesty seemed quite absentminded and tired while working and the Crown Princess Amara was sickly and probably she and Princess Athanasia had had a fight. Was that the reason why Jeanette was getting a chance to get close to Princess Amara?

Roger couldn't undermine the fact that both His Majesty and Princess Amara were exactly alike. If they snapped then Jeanette could be in danger but with the current circumstances if there really was a fight between the Princesses then Jeanette had a chance of taking Princess Athanasia's spot just like how that person had suggested.

Still everything that was happening was making Roger's head hurt, he was already playing a dangerous game by getting involved in this matter.

Roger had originally wanted for Jeanette to get close to His Majesty for him to treat her like he treated the two Princesses but with the way the things were turning out he could see that he would have to make use of Princess Amara to bring Jeanette close to His Majesty. If Jeanette was cherished by Amara then His Majesty wouldn't be able to do anything.

Amara... that girl was like her father but somehow, Roger knew that she was stronger than him and the way she held herself it was enough to say that nobody would want to be cross with her, even the Emperor. If she was sick now and wanting Jeanette's company then nobody could stop that, not even His Majesty. Instead, His Majesty would approve of it and that would help Jeanette get close to him.

And once Jeanette was close to both father-daughter then it would be easier to get rid of both of them.

Jeanette stepped out of Roger's library.

"I'll return to my room then, uncle." She said as she happily skipped towards her room at the prospects of seeing Amara again.

" She said as she happily skipped towards her room at the prospects of seeing Amara again