Chapter 6

After the hunters heard my story, they began sharing my chores and called me Brother. Artemis was giving me lessons on how to use a bow and arrow, and with her blessing I'd improved dramatically. I'd gone from missing by a mile to somewhere near perfect shots every time.

"GATHER AROUND HUNTERS!" Artemis shouts. With a small smirk and a bounce of her eyebrows, she adds, "You too, Percy." Something about the way she said my name made my skin tingle. When everyone has crowded around the goddess, she clears her throat.

"My father," she spat, distastefully, "has demanded that I go on a solo hunt." A collective nod makes its way around the crowd. "But...you'll...youallhavetostayatCampHalfBlood," she murmured.

"I'm sorry, my lady, but what was that last part?" Phoebe inquired.

Artemis regained her composure and calmly spoke, "You will all have to board at Camp Half-Blood while I am away." I couldn't help but notice her gaze avoiding my own.

I stared at her, eyes wide, brimming with tears behind them. My breathing got shallow and I tried to scream but my throat froze up. I barely managed to whisper a feeble, "No..." I'd be pranked, and bullied, and I'd have to see the two people I'd spent every ounce of my strength running from.

"Don't worry, Percy. I could turn you into an animal to disguise your identity," Artemis said, as if she'd read my mind. Gods, I really hoped she couldn't – I wouldn't want her to know how often she was the subject of my thoughts.

I nodded, so she'd know I wanted to transform temporarily. She tapped me lightly on the shoulder and I wasn't sure if the jolt up my spine was from the magic or her touch. Before I knew what was happening, I'd shrunken down to the size of a large purse. I had long, floppy, golden ears and four furry legs. I stood up and felt my tail swinging from side to side as Artemis pat me on the head.

"He's a puppy! He's a little Percy Puppy!" Thalia cooed. It was rather uncomfortable seeing a brave huntress like her melt at the sight of golden retriever. Especially when that golden retriever was me.

"We leave now. Come, I'll drop you off at camp." Solemnly, we all trailed behind Artemis, myself in Thalia's arms.

At some point, a collar and leash was slid over my neck. I tried to shout, "Get this thing off of me!", but only a whine escaped my throat.

"No, we don't want to lose you. All of the Hunters and myself can understand you, but no one else can. We can't truly trust the campers yet," Artemis commanded, and I stood down. I didn't want to upset her.

—————————————————————————- 

We'd finally arrived at camp and a crowd of campers had gathered to greet the goddess and the hunters. The Aphrodite girls, of course, were at the front of the group petting me. I didn't mind, they were gentle. Cody made his way to the front as well and snorted at me. "A puppy? Really? How pathetic." I growled at him, feeling the vibrations of my voice deep in my throat.

Thalia, sensing my agitation, led me on my leash to the cabin and ushered Artemis to leave so the crowd would disperse. I held back a small cry as she vanished in a puff of smoke.

We made our way to the silvery cabin and got settled in. Thalia had been left in charge.

Dinner time arrived just in time, and I sat under the table near Sarah's feet. I licked at her toes to signal that I was hungry. She reached an arm down and pet my back. "I'll be right back," she said and got up. I was desperately hoping she'd gotten the message. She returned a moment later with a plate of steak and portion cut out of it. "I already sacrificed some to the gods for you. Eat up!"

"Thanks Sarah!" I barked.

It seems as though my yipping had caught the attention of a certain Athena child. "Since when did you get a puppy?" Annabeth asked, intrigued.

"His name is Hero, and we got him a month ago, Annabitch," Thalia replied, viciously. She'd taken the story almost bad as I had.

After dinner, Drew came over and asked, "Can Hero stay at my cabin tonight? Piper won't mind." Thalia reluctantly agreed, not wanting to cause any suspicion, and handed her my leash. I internally groaned as I was lead to a cabin covered entirely in pink.