Chapter Seventeen

En başından başla

"Wow. That's...messy."

Hailwatcher sighs, staring down at his paws.

"Yeah."

"And then there was Willowstar.."

"...A little while ago, Slightstar suggested we go to the Moonpool to ask StarClan's advice about the Birchstorm situation, and when I found out he asked for me to come, I knew something was...wrong."

Dread starts creeping up Hailwatcher's spine, causing his fur to bristle up.

"..When we were walking there, Slightstar started acting weird..he said that he felt like something was off, and Willowstar started- looking around."

Seeming to anticipate what the young tom is going to say, the SkyClan cats share a horrified look.

"When Willowstar's back was turned, Slightstar sprung at him, and Willowstar tried to fight back but he wasn't strong enough.."

"Slightstar was going to spring again, and Willowstar had fallen down...

I jumped in the way. I wanted to do something...I had to do something.."

The memories of Willowstar's violent death start prying into Hailwatcher's mind, but he manages to shut them out for at least a few heartbeats longer.

"..That made Slightstar mad, though...he hit me and threw me onto the ground, and I wrenched my shoulder," he mumbles, lifting up his left foreleg and letting the paw dangle.

Beechfoot looks as if he wants to say something but simply lets out a sigh; Mossyspots gets up and starts pacing.

"..Um..but Slightstar..he got Willowstar pinned..and he tried to fight back but Slightstar told him not to or he'd- kill me, too.."

"And then, he- his claws- were in Willowstar's throat..and he- he tore.."

"There was so much blood everywhere...i-it- it-" Hailwatcher sputters, clearing his throat with a paltry rumble.

"Oh, kiddo," Beechfoot murmurs breathily, looking horrified.

Featherstar shifts uncomfortably, recollection flashing in her eyes.

"I..."

Hailwatcher draws back, feeling the memories of the carnage rush into his mind.

He begins to tremble so hard he can't sit up straight, and his breaths start coming out in little puffs.

The young medicine cat lets out a raw sob.

"Hailwatcher-" Beechfoot stammers, starting forward.

"I- I couldn't save him! I..I can't save anyone..."

"I'm worthless..."

"No, kiddo," the cream-furred tom soothes, crouching down beside Hailwatcher and curling around him.

"No. It's not your fault..you did the best you could. Just breathe, Hailwatcher."

Hialwatcher lifts his head and sucks in a breath, gasping and breaking into a coughing fit amidst his hyperventilation.

Beechfoot grimaces, wrapping his tail around the smaller tom.

The senior medicine cat mutters something to Featherstar before turning to Mossyspots.

"Mossyspots, if you'd get the proper herbs-"

"On it," the bracken-colored she-cat replies, rising to her paws and bounding out of Featherstar's den.

Hailwatcher gasps for breath, burying his head in Beechfoot's chest and choking out another sob.

"You're safe now," Beechfoot murmurs, pulling Hailwatcher closer to him.