chapter eight.

☆★☆★☆★

"Hey, you doing good?"

Mai crouched herself to the corner, her eyes trained to the practice match occurring right before her eyes. It was still lost on her how on Earth these people could exert their energy non stop without dropping dead to the gym floor.

It was again Atsumu's turn to serve the ball. The way he just jumped with such power as he hit the ball, to the point Mai could see that it actually cut through the air. How could she ever capture such energy for her upcoming photoshoot when she herself could barely complete one lap of jogging without fainting.

Looking up, she saw Aran who walked over and plopped down to sit right beside her.

"I'm good," Mai answered, this time she shifted her gaze towards Reina. Her former best friend was seated on the bench right beside Coach Kurosu. Her eyes darted from watching the court to scribbling down notes on her thick Kokuyo notebook. Mai guessed that the mechanical pencil that Reina used would either be Pentel or Pilot brand. "I...feel bad that there's nothing I can do much aside from watching the practice to get inspiration for my upcoming photoshoot with the volleyball magazine."

"You don't cause any chaos or disruption, that alone is already helpful." Aran answered with such fervor and sincerity that somehow, he managed to pull out a laugh from Mai. "What, did I say something funny?"

"I'm sure you already heard enough from the twins and the whole team that you can make a career in Manzai comedy as the Tsukomi," Mai retorted, this time she did not even cover her mouth as she usually did when letting out a laugh. "But volleyball does wonders for you too."

"I have to admit, I feel like I have to document this moment."

"What moment?"

"When you laughed. Well, since it is so rare to see you even express yourself."

Mai froze, waiting for the usual pickup line that followed right after. She was more than used to it, boys who waxed lyrical at her in order to get her to open up her cold dead heart. Boys who claimed they were trying to fix her while their intention was anything but. They just wanted to be another puppeteer who tried to fix the broken doll, claiming their right to have her just because they thought they had fixed her.

They only wanted love if it's torture and she sure as hell put up fortresses and walls for them to suffer through, which made them wanted it all even more.

They just reminded her of how much of a broken doll she was, which made it all easier for Mai to hold on to her cold dead heart, determined to never give it away to anyone.

But there was no trace of perfectly patched up lines of lies in Aran's voice. Her mind may not be as sharp as Reina's, but it was sharpened enough from experience to detect even an ounce of insincerity. And she did not find it at all in him. He simply said he wanted to capture the moment she laughed because he meant it.

Mai was not used to it. To boys who gave away truths easily like they were free and without having to pry it out of them.

"Gomen, that sounded cheesy," Aran-kun said with a laugh and all Mai could think was how he was wrong. "To be fair, most people I've met are super expressive with their feelings, mainly the twins. Well except Kita, you know how he is."

She was the one who wanted to bottle in his laughter. Although Mai was not sure she could stay sober, her clarity of mind stayed intact if she would be drinking that bottle.

"What is your story with Shibazeki?"

The question was so sudden that Mai almost flinched out of surprise. She hugged her knees tighter, but forced herself not to look away.