chapter four.

☆★☆★☆★

Well fuck.

But of course Reina could not swear out loud, right? It would go against what her father's family tried to hammer into her brain ever since they moved back to Japan from California.

Now she literally had zero control of the situation, courtesy of dumb blondie here who decided to scream for Ojiro-senpai. Now the latter probably think Reina was here to confirm about his proposition.

There were the identical looking Miya brothers who definitely reminded Reina of Tweedledee and Tweedledumb, Suna, Mai and of course, Ojiro-senpai who was walking towards the back of the gym where they were all huddled together.

"Ah, thank the heavens, Shibazeki-san!" Ojiro-senpai looked positively happy, the dude was practically glowing and Reina did not have the heart to interrupt.

Now she really wanted to curse at Tweedledum for ruining her smooth escape from the gym.

Reina should've seen it coming. She really should've known that agreeing to meet up with Suna in the back of the gym instead of in the front gates would end up her being cornered. Not that she expected the friggin Mai to be here. And Reina was sure she slipped a little when controlling her expressions in front of Mai. After all, as much as Suna was a lazy ass, he got sharp eyes for these kinds of things (read: tea spilled).

And from what she heard about his volleyball aptitude, Suna was a beast on the court.

It wasn't like you got the chance, Reina, she inwardly consoled herself.

But if she disclosed the exact reason why she was here, it would mean exposing her and Suna along with the transaction they were doing. The last thing Reina wanted was to ever indulge herself with volleyball business, ever again.

"I...there is a misunderstanding here," Reina tried to explain. From the way Ojiro-senpai's face looked downtrodden in one second, Reina's heart squeezed a little. Okay, a lot. He truly reminded her of a gentle giant at times. "I...I think now is not exactly a good idea to make a decision this important, especially choosing a sports club manager right? Their workload is heavy, taking notes when practice matches, washing the jerseys, keeping the players hydrated and so on."

"It seems that you're well versed about what a sports manager should be doing, Shibazeki-san," Miya Osamu added, causing Reina to flinch. "I don't see what's wrong. You're not one of the rabid fangirls who try applying as manager but is only here to ogle at my ugly twin brother."

"Correction, both of you are ugly because you both are identical to each other," Suna piped in and Atsumu looked positively ready to get into a fight.

"For once, Osamu made a valid point." Ojiro nodded. "But have you really considered all the options, Shibazeki-san?"

Reina's gaze flicked to Mai, who did not waver at all. If not for the way she knew how Mai would faint after running just one lap (and it had nothing to do with her athletic abilities), Reina would've thought her former friend would make a good middle blocker.

"I...no, I haven't. What I'm trying to say here now is not the right time for me to confirm it. I haven't told my friend yet about this. She needs all the help she can in her own club and well...it would be rude if I just say yes without consulting her."

Okay that was the truth, at the very least. Just not the entire truth. She could feel Mai's gaze boring holes into her forehead, but in Reina's opinion, Mai no longer had any say about what decision she would be making.

Not after the way Mai lashed out all those years ago to her face.

"Fair enough," Atsumu said. "I personally don't think your friend's club is important and it isn't like we need a manager or something."