18, a runaways simple survival skills

❝with the roar of the fire, my heart rose to its feetlike the ashes of ash i saw rise in the heatsettle soft and as pure as snowi fell in love with the fire long ago❞

like the ashes of ash i saw rise in the heat
settle soft and as pure as snow
i fell in love with the fire long ago❞

-would that i, hozier

chapter eighteen, A RUNAWAYS SIMPLE SURVIVAL SKILLS

 After what AJ assumed was half an hour of wandering around, trying to find where the pogues might be and hoping they weren't also caught, AJ decided to take her chances on asking a local for help.

She knew she needed to be smart about the things she said and asked, she couldn't give too much away and she definitely could not approach anyone with what she was currently wearing. She needed to make a stop first.

AJ didn't have money but she knew how to survive, her mother taught her that much. The girl found herself at a small outdoor market and looked around. Though she kept her eye out for anyone who looked like the men from earlier as she did.

She turned a corner and slipped past a stall with dresses and other clothing. As the woman turned to help someone else AJ slipped a dress off the counter. She turned back down the street she came from and slowed at a stall with bags. Once again, waiting for nobody to be watching to grab a small over-the-shoulder one.

She slipped past some stalls and behind a building. She needed to look more like a tourist than the person Ward's men were looking for.

The girl worked quickly at taking her half-dry, dirty clothing off and slipping the dress over her body. She ripped the tag with her teeth and shoved her old clothing into the bag before braiding her wet hair and using the string from the tag to tie it.

AJ kept walking down the alley before turning back to the market. Her stomach continued growling reminding the girl that she needed to eat. She made her way back through the market, passing both stalls but avoiding looking over.

She slowed at the end of the street, stopping at one of the last stalls. "hi, I was just wondering if you happened to know what was happening down at the beach earlier? Ya know, the plane crash" She took note of the young man behind the stall and she leaned closer, using the way the dress hugged her chest to her advantage.

"oh uh, ya" He answered and she knew it was working when his eyes trailed down.

"who were those people? If you know of course" She licked her lips and he chuckled nervously.

"I really shouldn't tell you but" He paused and AJ leaned closer. He looked around the street before speaking again. "I believe it was Carlos Singh's men, not sure what it was about though, they left with a girl"

"wow, seemed intense. Thanks anyway. What time do you close down your stall? I'm on vacation and I've been meaning to find someone to show me around, show me all the non-touristy areas" She smiled as she flirted, her mind reeling, trying not to panic at his words.