His light eyes scanned the surroundings, i search of anything that could point them in the right direction. He tried listening for her siren song, but it was nowhere to be found.

Benedict ran a hand through his mused hair, "Do either of you hear anything?" Eloise shook her head, "Nothing.."

"Why don't we ask some of these sailors?" Loren suggested. And they decided, why not? The search for the song had failed, might as well spare some coins and receive more information.

Benedict approached a young sailor, "Excuse me sir?" The man glancing up from the net he was untangling, "What can I do for you?"

"I am looking for Arielle Campbell, have you seen her? Or any of the Campbells?" Benedict asked. The sailor frowned slightly, "I'm afraid you just missed 'em, sir. They just set out."

"Set out?"

"Mhmm, ya see, it's very rare to have the Campbells ashore. Henry and Arielle belong to the sea." Benedict tried to hide his disappointment. He was so close, and he'd missed her.

"Do you know when they are to return?"

The sailor shrugged, "Ya never know with them." The Bridgerton man sighed, "Well, thank you for your time." He muttered, moving to walk away.

But the sailor called after him, "Sir!"

Benedict turned, "Yes?"

"If I was you, I'd come down here ev'ry day. It's your best chance o' seeing Arielle."

Benedict nodded, "I'll consider it. Thank you."

"Of course, sir."

———

Benedict Bridgerton was now sprawled across the sofa in the family room, wallowing in his disappointment. He would take the sailor's advice, but just not knowing when he'd see her again was upsetting.

He wondered how she was doing, if she was alright. He was hoping that it was merely a bad coughing spell, nothing more.

The sound of the doors opening caught his attention, he lifted his head slightly, only to see Anthony.

"Oh, it is just you." He muttered before laying back down. "You do not seem happy to see me, brother."

"I'm never happy to see you."

The Viscount rolled his eyes, "Very funny." He swiftly moved across the room, sitting across from his distraught brother. "Now, a little bird has told me-"

"Would that little bird happen to be your wife?"

Anthony paused, pursing his lips, "Fine, Loren has told me that you are in love?" Benedict groaned, placing a throw pillow over his face, "I am not in love!" His voice was muffled by the object.

"Oh brother, it is nothing to be ashamed of. You should be happy! This is wonderful for you. Once we get you married off, it's just Colin and Eloise to take care of for now."

"I am not in love." Benedict repeated, lifting the pillow off his head, "I am merely worried."

"Worried? About what? Do you believe she is married?"

Benedict furrowed his brows, "What? No."

"Worried that she does not have wide hips suitable for childbirth? You'll find out soon enough. I was worried for Loren, but one look at her and I knew-"

"What!? Ew! Anthony!"

The older Bridgerton shrugged, "I am just saying." He muttered. Benedict sat up slightly, "You want the truth, brother? I am worried because I'm afraid she is ill."

Anthony furrowed his brows, "Ill? How so?"

The man exhaled deeply, "On the night of the performance, she had a coughing fit during her aria. I followed her and found her in the garden."

"Did you kiss her?"

"No!"

"Good. That's scandalous."

Benedict rolled his light eyes, continuing on, "I followed her into the garden, where she seemed in terrible condition. She was still coughing, and I found there to be blood on her handkerchief."

Anthony suddenly became serious. The shift in attitude worried him. "Anthony, what is it?"

"It sounds like the consumption."

Benedict's eyes widened, "C-Consumption? No, it cannot be." It explained everything. But Benedict refused to believe it. In most cases, it was fatal. Doctors had yet to find a cure for the disease.

This had him worried much more then before. Loren had stated earlier that this story seemed all too familiar.

She'd compared it to a fairy tale, 'The Little Mermaid' claiming it had a tragic ending but his would be different...

And now with the news of consumption possibly being a contributing factor...

He was worried that his happy ending may soon turn to tragedy.